P.d.t.'s sourpuss lemon chicken marinade

Joan

TVWBB Hall of Fame
STEVEN RAICHLEN

The first time we made this we gave it a Very Good rating with 5 exclamation marks. This is definitely going in the "make soon" folder.

P.D.T.'S SOURPUSS LEMON CHICKEN MARINADE
(pdt stands for Pretty Da*n Tasty)

1 large lemon
8 TB (1 stick) unsalted butter, melted
1/2 cup cider vinegar
1/2 cup (packed) dark brown sugar
1/4 cup Worcestershire Sauce
1 medium onion, thinly sliced
4 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
1 jalapeno chili, thinly sliced
1/2 tsp. coarse salt
1/2 tsp. freshly ground black pepper

Juice the lemon and place the juice in a bowl.
Add rest of ingredients in saucepan and simmer over medium heat until sugar is dissolved, 3 to 5 minutes. Pour mixture into bowl with lemon juice and stir to mix. Cool to room temp.

Makes 2 cups; enough for 1 whole chicken or 2 lbs. thighs - marinate overnight, then grill.

Source: Sauces, Rubs and Marinades - Steven Raichlen

Last edited:
The first time we made this we gave it a Very Good rating with 5 exclamation marks. This is definitely going in the "make soon" folder.

P.D.T.'S SOURPUSS LEMON CHICKEN MARINADE
(pdt stands for Pretty Da*n Tasty)

1 large lemon
8 TB (1 stick) unsalted butter, melted
1/2 cup cider vinegar
1/2 cup (packed) dark brown sugar
1/4 cup Worcestershire Sauce
1 medium onion, thinly sliced
4 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
1 jalapeno chili, thinly sliced
1/2 tsp. coarse salt
1/2 tsp. freshly ground black pepper

Juice the lemon and place the juice in a bowl.
Add rest of ingredients in saucepan and simmer over medium heat until sugar is dissolved, 3 to 5 minutes. Pour mixture into bowl with lemon juice and stir to mix. Cool to room temp.

Makes 2 cups; enough for 1 whole chicken or 2 lbs. thighs - marinate overnight, then grill.

Source: Sauces, Rubs and Marinades - Steven Raichlen

3/1/19 Finally got around to making this again. DH cut recipe in half. Used 2 bone-in thighs and 2 boneless thighs. We ate the bone-in thighs and we're saving the bnless for sandwiches or salad. DH also cooked down the marinade and the onions were delicious. This is going BACK into the make soon folder. lol

I just copied this to try it out once it warms up outside. Looks good, thanks for posting it!

I just copied this to try it out once it warms up outside. Looks good, thanks for posting it!

Thanks for letting me know Ted, I REALLY APPRECIATE THAT!!!!

Yesterday DH cut up the bnless thighs and made a very delicious sandwich for us. I know we just had the other thighs the night before, but I couldn't wait. lol

DH just told me this. For dinner, he topped the thighs with grilled lemon slices. I like grilled lemon. Forgot the lemon slices in the original post, sorry. lol

I used this today with a couple of slight tweaks. I used green onions (all I had) and doubled the jalapeño, cooked it down, added the lemon juice and a tbsp of lemon pepper seasoning, then blended it and marinated six chicken thighs overnight with it. I put it on my Vision Kamado with the DigiQ set at 290 degrees using kingsford professional and applewood chips for fuel and flavor. It wasn’t as flavorful as I wanted, but definitely still a good marinade. I’d up the salt a tiny bit next time. Thanks!

I used this today with a couple of slight tweaks. I used green onions (all I had) and doubled the jalapeño, cooked it down, added the lemon juice and a tbsp of lemon pepper seasoning, then blended it and marinated six chicken thighs overnight with it. I put it on my Vision Kamado with the DigiQ set at 290 degrees using kingsford professional and applewood chips for fuel and flavor. It wasn’t as flavorful as I wanted, but definitely still a good marinade. I’d up the salt a tiny bit next time. Thanks!

Hi Cee El, thank you for letting me know you tried it. Sorry it disappointed you. For me, more salt is always the right answer. lol

Back