Key Lime Pie

Joan

TVWBB Hall of Fame
DH made this the other day for National Pie Day, and since today is National Florida Day (yes, on some calendars lol) I am posting it here. Yes, he made it with real Key Limes. And NO YOU DON'T GRILL IT. lol

"Recipe adapted from JOE'S STONE CRAB, Miami Beach".

KEY LIME PIE

1 cup plus 2 1/2 TB graham-cracker crumbs
5 TB unsalted butter, melted
1/3 cup sugar
3 egg yolks
1 1/2 tsp grated lime zest
1 (14 oz.) can sweetened condensed milk
2/3 cup fresh Key Lime juice
1 cup heavy cream
3 TB confectioner's sugar

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a large mixing bowl, combine graham crackers, butter and sugar. Press mixture into bottom and sides of a buttered 9" pie pan, forming a neat border around edge. Bake crust about 5 minutes or until set and golden.

Using an electric mixer with a whisk attachment and a nonreactive bowl, beat egg yolks and lime zest at high speed about 5 minutes or until very shiny. Gradually add condensed milk, and continue to beat 3 or 4 minutes or until thick. Reduce speed of mixer to low. Add lime juice and mix just until combined.

Pour lime mixture into crust. Bake about 10 minutes or until filling has just set. Cool to room temperature, then refrigerate.

To serve, place pie in freezer for 15 to 20 minutes before serving. In an electric-mixer bowl, combine cream and confectioners' sugar. Whisk until nearly stiff. Cut pie into wedges; serve very cold, each wedge topped with large dollop of whipped cream. Makes 8 servings

Source: Miami Herald - 2/98

Thanks for sharing it! I always enjoy getting Key Lime Pie when I'm visiting my parents in FL. Will have to try this myself sometime. Right now, I'm reading the forums while baking my favorite cookie: Pinwheel Cookie. I'll have to post the recipe sometime.

Thanks for sharing it! I always enjoy getting Key Lime Pie when I'm visiting my parents in FL. Will have to try this myself sometime. Right now, I'm reading the forums while baking my favorite cookie: Pinwheel Cookie. I'll have to post the recipe sometime.

Your welcome Bill. You must know about Joe's Stone Crab place then if you've been in the neighborhood, or down to the Keys. lol Yes, please share your cookie recipe. By the way, what are you doing baking so early in the morning? Too much coffee? lol

Last edited:
Did anyone see that special that was on PBS tonight about the Key's? Part of it was about their famous key lime pie. They also showed a key lime pie eating contest. If their pies were anything like the one DH baked, ohhhhh, that is a lot of lime to consume. Brave people. lol

OH, I just came across this thread. And yes, I am asking DH to make this again REAL SOON!!!!! ☺️

Back