Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: For spam lover

TVWBB Fan

For spam lover

Darn, can't add the "s"

I don't know if Spam qualifies as "other meat" but since no one has posted on this thread in 15 months, who cares. lol

(plug coming up) While going through this cookbook for my cooking game on another site, I came across this recipe that DH and I have made twice now. Both times we gave it a "Very Good" rating and will surely make many more times.

The cookbook is "Dr. BBQ's Big-Time Barbecue Cookbook" by Ray Lampe - pub. 2005

Spam au Poivre

Coarsely ground black pepper
    1 can of Spam Original, cut in four slices
    Big Squeeze Yellow Mustard Barbecue Sauce, to taste (recipe follows)

Prepare the grill for direct cooking at very high heat

Apply a heavy coat of black pepper to both sides of the Spam slices. Press it down so that it stays on. Grill the slices over the hot fire for just a few minutes on each side. When the slices are golden brown and crusty looking they are done. Serve with the mustard sauce.

Big Squeeze Yellow Mustard Barbecue Sauce

3/4 cup yellow "ballpark" mustard
    3/4 cup cider vinegar
    1/2 cup sugar
    1 1/2 TB butter or margarine
    2 tsp. salt
    2 tsp. Worcestershire Sauce
    1 1/4 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
    2 tsp. Louisiana style hot sauce, or more to taste

Combine all of the ingredients in a saucepan, stirring to blend, and simmer over low heat for thirty minutes. Let stand at room temperature for 1 hour before using. Yield: 1 3/4 cups.
    Last edited by Joan; 01-25-2019 at 02:13 PM.

TVWBB Super Fan
    A camping favorite!
    Have you tried the Bacon Spam?

TVWBB Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil S View Post
    A camping favorite!
    Have you tried the Bacon Spam?
    Hi Phil, (I snagged your S lol) Yes, we have had both Bacon Spam and Turkey Spam. Sorry to say, as much as I love bacon, I could hardly taste it. The turkey Spam was just a little bit better. What did you think of it?

I think I've found my Superbowl pregame snack. Thanks Joan!!!
    85 78

Spam was a big item for the troops in WW II.

My Dad was in a German POW camp. When they got Red Cross Parcels, they loved getting the one pound can of Spam that was included, if the German's had not already pilfered them. Spam, candy bars, and cigarettes became barter inside the camp and to exchange with German guards for other useful items, like radios or fresh eggs.

Dad always had a soft spot in his heart for Spam We always had a can around the house , and he loved it fried.

TVWBB Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by ChuckO View Post
    I think I've found my Superbowl pregame snack. Thanks Joan!!!
    Your welcome Chuck, hope your team wins.!!!!!

TVWBB Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by Lynn Dollar View Post
    Spam was a big item for the troops in WW II.

My Dad was in a German POW camp. When they got Red Cross Parcels, they loved getting the one pound can of Spam that was included, if the German's had not already pilfered them. Spam, candy bars, and cigarettes became barter inside the camp and to exchange with German guards for other useful items, like radios or fresh eggs.

Dad always had a soft spot in his heart for Spam We always had a can around the house , and he loved it fried.
    Thank you Lynn for sharing that beautiful/and sad story.

TVWBB Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by Joan View Post
    Your welcome Chuck, hope your team wins.!!!!!
    Hi Chuck, did your team win? Did you serve the Spam? If so, what did they think of it?

Quote Originally Posted by Joan View Post
    Hi Chuck, did your team win? Did you serve the Spam? If so, what did they think of it?
    Hi Joan. I don't have a team, I barely even like football anymore, we just watch post season football.

Did not get to cook the Spam, just me and the bride, and she hates Spam. Myself, my son & his girlfriend, and my daughter's boyfriend are Spam comrades

I've still got the two cans, maybe for the Daytona 500 snacks, except I'm the only one who likes stock car racing, and even I'm not much of a fan anymore... Thanks for asking, I'll post a picture if & when I do the cook
    85 78

We always have Spam in our camp kitchen. not only is it tasty to eat, it makes great bait for yellow jackets. Which we deal with all the time here when camping. Screw a can to a board open the lid and place the board over a bucket of water.

Now for breakfast island style serve Musabi! Can be found at every gas station deli!

14.5" WSM, (4) Mini-wsms, Mini-Za Oven, Minitisserie, GOSM Big Block, 1967 Casa Q

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast