Got my first WSM!

J Robb

TVWBB Member
Picked it up on Craigslist a couple weeks ago. Will hopefully try it out over the weekend.

wsm.jpg

It’s in great condition, I think it’s only about a year old. It already has a friend :)

Last edited:
First cook and I'm a believer!

Did my first cook on my 14.5" WSM on Sunday. I read a lot of articles on this site about set up, but because it was the first time using it, I used Weber's set up recommendations (35 briquettes, all vents fully opened to start, water pan full) except I used a chimney to start the briquettes. I was pleasantly surprised how well it kept around 250° without any fussing around with the vents! It kept 250 for the first 2-2.5 hrs then started to drop. I added about 10 briquettes and a couple wood chunks to maintain it until I was ready to foil at 3 hours. Added another chimney at the 3 hour foiling which lasted until I took them out of the foil. Before I put them on for the last hour I dumped the ash and added chimney of around 50 briquettes and more water to try to raise temps to around 275° for the final hour (temps topped out at 284°). I sauced them during final 10 min.
Overall the ribs came out good. Definitely liked how easy it was to keep temps throughout! I've mostly used my 22” kettle to smoke, with and without a Smokenator, and it's always been somewhat of a chore to maintain even temps. I also modified an ECB a few years back, but I'm sold on the WSM! The only thing I really didn't enjoy was cleaning the water pan (one of the reasons I stopped using the ECB), so I may try foil lining with no water next time.

IMG_7437.JPG

After 3 hours:
After%203%20hours.JPG

After foiling:
after%20foiling.JPG

Done!:
done1.JPG

final.JPG

Thanks for sharing! You did great! I, too, abandoned water in the pan and migrated to foiling it without liquid. I'm not saying that decision is right or wrong but I'd have to scramble a bit if I did a setup with water these days.

Thanks for sharing! You did great! I, too, abandoned water in the pan and migrated to foiling it without liquid. I'm not saying that decision is right or wrong but I'd have to scramble a bit if I did a setup with water these days.

How did abandoning the water affect your temps?

I’m with Pat, I have never used the water pan, terra cotta saucer wrapped in foil sits inside the water bowl (also wrapped in foil) so, I can’t say what the difference is between water and no water but, I’m a no water guy. One less thing for me to trip over.

Ah we are back to the water / no water discussion :)

You can actually use your wsm as a pbc and don't put the bowl in at all.
I do this very often

Other than that: I use the water bowl with water in summertime, otherwise I cannot keep the temperature down
In wintertime, I mostly use it without the bowl, and occasionally with the bowl, without water. But frankly, mostly I am too lazy to bother foiling.

The ribs are looking great!
I don't foil those either, I like ribs with a bite, Maybe I am sort of cave(wo)man

I like to put water in the water bowl, not necessarily as a heat sink, but as a source of moisture for the meat.

I use a 16" loaf pan filled with water in my offset stick burner.

Back