Embers charcoal $1.90/bag on clearance at Home Depot

J Robb

TVWBB Member
My local Home Depot has their Embers Charcoal on clearance for $1.90/bag. Has anyone used it? It’s made by Royal Oak, but I couldn’t find any info online how it’s made, additives, etc. It got mixed reviews on Home Depot’s site, but I grabbed a few bags anyway just because it’s cheap.

My local Home Depot has their Embers Charcoal on clearance for $1.90/bag. Has anyone used it? It’s made by Royal Oak, but I couldn’t find any info online how it’s made, additives, etc. It got mixed reviews on Home Depot’s site, but I grabbed a few bags anyway just because it’s cheap.

My understanding was its royal oak branded for home depot.

I bought about a dozen 15.4 lb bags over the holidays at $3/bag and used most of it.

The store restocked with twin packs, much higher price.

I have had the last contact with Home Depot I will ever have! Very frustrating lousy service so, I won’t be buying anything from that hell hole at any kind of deal!

I bought about a dozen 15.4 lb bags over the holidays at $3/bag and used most of it.

I haven’t used any yet, did you have any issues with it? How does it compare with Kingsford? Is it worth buying a few more bags?

I haven’t used any yet, did you have any issues with it? How does it compare with Kingsford? Is it worth buying a few more bags?

Yeah, its good price.
Ive had no issues. I really cant compare to kingsford because ive always bought what was cheapest......usually wasnt kingsford.

Ive cooked several ribs a couple times, several turkeys, and a pork butt with it.

Yesterday evening i did a pork loin for supper with it. A restaurant i frequented travelling for work dissapointed me last week by not having their awesome smoky sliced pork loin anymore. Owner retired and passed business to daughter, they only had pulled pork now. So.... i had a hankering to make me some.

IMG_20190126_113139184_1.jpg

Half ring of coals with about half chimney to start. So maybe about 3/4 ring total. I let it burn after taking loin off at 2.5 hrs or so to play with heatermetr more. Tuning very different at low temps than high. Mainly found fan output needed to be limited more at 250 than 350

Went to bed, woke up it was still holding 250 after 10 hrs total time when i shut it off. coals were pretty near end. Pork loin has a light smoke ring, great taste. Even my finicky wife loves it.

Last edited:

Back