Commercial Sauces and Rubs

PCMancini

TVWBB Member
What are your personal favorite pre-made sauces and rubs? And for which meat do you use these? I have used Texas Rib Rangers rub and sauce for ribs recently but, as I am just getting serious about BBQ I am open to any and all suggestions. (I realize taste is subjective but quality is not!)

Additionally, where is the best spot you have found online to buy BBQ sauce and seasonings WRT price and selection? I have used Amazon at times but even with Prime shipping I do not think they have great prices. I also shop at a place call Peppers.com - it is in Rehobeth DE. I order over the phone and PU when I am down that way. Again open to any suggestions.

Thanks in advance,
Paul

I like the Weber rubs and sauces and McCormick Grill Mates.
Both are easy to find in any SM and can be doctored up.
A few more Stubbs and Famous Dave's.

Tim

I like the Weber rubs and sauces and McCormick Grill Mates.
Both are easy to find in any SM and can be doctored up.
A few more Stubbs and Famous Dave's.

Tim

Thanks Tim, never heard of Famous Dave's and will look into it. Our local markets have varieties of Stubbs. I have tried it and like it.
Paul

Any reason why you don't want to make your own sauce and rubs? Weber's cookbooks are just loaded with good ideas.

Any reason why you don't want to make your own sauce and rubs? Weber's cookbooks are just loaded with good ideas.

Hi Joan, No, in fact I usually prefer making my own stuff and I rarely use commercial spice mixes. But that is not to say there are not some great off-the-shelf products out there. For example, I have tried to make my own hot sauce, even growing and fermenting my own peppers. After all that time, efforts and expense, my sauce was just not as good as what I could get at the store.

Thanks,
Paul

Hi Joan, No, in fact I usually prefer making my own stuff and I rarely use commercial spice mixes. But that is not to say there are not some great off-the-shelf products out there. For example, I have tried to make my own hot sauce, even growing and fermenting my own peppers. After all that time, efforts and expense, my sauce was just not as good as what I could get at the store.

Thanks,
Paul

Hi Paul, glad to hear you at least tried to make your own hot sauce. That we do just buy. lol. We like to make our own BBQ sauce and other types. I am a big fan of recipes that require you to make your own sauce and spice blends. The more ingredients for both, the better. Especially if lot of the ingredients might be sitting around too long. lol

I do both. I use recipes from barbecue books, like Chris Lilly's " Big Bob Gibsons " and Raichlen's books. And those I find on the net.

But I also purchase commercial rubs. And they are some of the best, worth the money.

Plowboys Yardbird and Cavenders Greek are both great on poultry, especially the Plowboys.

I love Meat Church Holy Cow on beef, and their Honey Hog is good on pork.

I like the Weber Kickin Chicken and the Roasted Garlic and Herb.

I've recently purchased Butcher BBQ Honey Rub. I used it this past weekend with their Pork Injection on pork butt, its really good.

Most of these rubs are a product of competition BBQ , and there's reasons they were able to put them on the market.

As far as sauce, its really hard for me to not use Head Country, made here in Oklahoma. I can find no reason for me to try to make my own. And Head Country recently brought out an Apple Habernero sauce that is fantastic. They make sweet sauces, more like Kansas City sauce, that are really good on pork. But I am looking for a good sauce for beef.

I forgot about this one, which a friend brought to me last year. It was the best mustard sauce at Memphis in May last year. Its a South Carolina mustard sauce, and I need to order some more since I smoked four pork butts Sunday.

I really enjoyed this .

2db000_07f71695d1be4bae81e5ab52209eba89~mv2_d_1638_2048_s_2.jpg

My wife and I kind of stumbled into being in the business of being a reseller of commercial sauces and rubs. Six years after coming up with a seasoning we called Tatonka Dust there was a changed in an ingredient for mixing it and we had our facility and website set up to take on other products to subsidize ourselves while our original seasoning is being worked on. Just over two years later and we now have available some of the best top quality names in the business to provide our customers with one stop shipping at Owens BBQ.
- 2 Gringos Chupacabra
- After Party
- Bexten’s Best
- Big Swede BBQ
- Butcher BBQ
- Boars Night Out
- Brantley Creek BBQ & Co.
- Butcher BBQ
- Cimarron Doc’s Bar-B-Q & Chili Co.
- CJ’s
- Demon Pig
- Elk Creek Bar-B-Q Co.
- Fergolicious BBQ
- Grauer Family Foods
- Heath Riles BBQ
- Historic BBQ
- JonesyQ BBQ
- Killer Hogs Barbecue
- Kosmo’s Q
- Loot N' Booty BBQ
- Meat Church BBQ
- MOJO RUB
- Montana Outlaw BBQ
- Owens BBQ
- Pellet Envy EAT Barbecue
- Pork Pachanga
- Richie Z’s
- Smoky Okie’s
- Southern Links BBQ
- SuckleBusters
- Swine Life
- Tango Spice Company
- Texas Oil Dust
- Texas Swine Shine
- Triple 9 Swine
- University of Que
- Wright Barbecue Company

I usually make my own. However, I keep some Open Pit Original sauce on hand. It is what was used when I was a youngster, and always brings back memories.

Growing up my dad made his own sauce. Quite different from any sauce you get in the store. One of these days I may try and make it also. There was pieces of onions still floating around in his.

For store-bought sauces I'm kind of partial to Head country these days.

Back