Sad Find

Dustin Dorsey

TVWBB Hall of Fame
We were some taking some stuff to the recycling center from work and I stumbled upon this.

That's a Genesis 1000 I think although that frame might be a Spirit 900. I look for these every day in Craiglist and Facebook Market Place and this was just scrapped. The frame looked a little rough. I would have loved to have that lid.

Last edited:
Those lids are pretty durable. I would have checked it out for possible salvage. The frame looks pretty rough, but it has a scale, wheels, axle, and a couple panels that are salvageable. It looks like a condiment rack and even some SS rod grates in the top picture. The manifold and control panel might be in there somewhere as well. The frame looks pretty rough, but I see a lot of good parts to be had. Did you grab anything???

That looks like a first generation frame! It's got the early style wheels and you can see the early style gas gauge still hanging from the pointer rod.

I could use the wheels off it!

Gerry

I wasn't able to take anything unfortunately. The lid was dinged up. I wanted to grab the wheels too but I had nothing to take off the push nuts with.

I know we Weber addicts tend to see things that are not real, but "I SPY" a redhead lid under the fan in the top picture (see broken and routed handle?) - also under the left-most fan in the bottom picture. I see many clues similar to a red Gen X000 lid...

Or as I said, I may be seeing things. You better get back to that scrap pile.

EDIT - I didn't realize by your comments that you saw the lid

I totally didn't notice that grate when I was there. That frame must be a Genesis 2 or 3? It seems like the wider style but that single bottom cross-member threw me off.

Last edited:
And I have been looking for a red head and can’t find one..... but I have a solid 1000 frame sitting here which will be my next grill project.

Stefan, I wish I was near you. Redheads are fairly plentiful around me. I have a couple spare lids in fact.

Bruce, our area just is too new. 50-75% of the DFW area did not exist 25+ years ago. Finding old stuff is a challenge here since there were just not that many buyers back then.
Just the DFW suburb where I am living had less then 18K people living here in 1970. In 1980 that number had grown to little over 70K and 130K in 1990. Now we are close to 300K. Similar for all the other suburbs.
So not too many residents here in the 80 and 90s to buy a Weber grill. The majority of the people migrated here later. In the past year I have only seen one or two classic Weber gas grills with wood slabs for sale. Most of stuff you find here is much newer.

Last edited:
Same with buyers here. Most of my buyers have been in their 30s and 40s. They tend to go more for the shiny newer grills. For them the old style grills are before "their time". They don't really look for these. I had only two "older" buyers who are aware of the quality of the older Webers and who owned them in the past and who particular were looking for one of these. But these buyers are rare in my neck of the woods.

I live probably 2 hours northwest of Stefan and I keep an eye the DFW as well even though I'm not really in the market. It's pretty sparse. I remember one time just seeing what the Bay area had for instance on Craigslist and it blew my mind. I'll agree with the buyer situation. In my area, it just doesn't rain much so even a cheapo can last forever if you take some care of it. I think most buyers have a hard time seeing the value in something a little nicer other than brand recognition. The other thing is if someone puts something on the curb it will get picked up almost immediately for recycling. Our trash company runs a bulk pickup every friday and if I put anything out that's metal it's gone before the truck arrives and I live in fairly nice town.

I would say my market is an odd mix. In my immediate locale there are not a lot of long time residents like Stefan’s situation, so I don’t often find really classic grills near me. On the other hand, if I am willing to drive, there are sometimes quite a few in older communities south and north of me. The west coast of Florida has lots of cool offerings. It is unfortunately a long round trip.

For selling, though, things are different for me than Stefan. There are lots of well-off retirees that if you can catch their eye will readily pay for a well done classic grill. I actually think a beautiful wood slat grill would be a bigger draw than a stainless one. My older buyers DO remember the old Weber’s.

Back