A Tale of Two Meats

Bill D-NC

TVWBB Pro
It’s 45º out, so I should be smoking cheese, right? I will get around to trying that one of these days. But today I’m staying a little closer to my wheelhouse. I was at Sam’s Friday and picked up a 4 lb. chuck and an 8 lb. butt.

So, I got the 26er loaded up KBB in the SnS and some apple chunks. The chucky got a rub down with Rod Gray’s The Most Powerful Stuff and I hit the butt with some Smokin’ Guns Hot.

The 26er’s running at about 230º and we’re off to the races.

Here we are about an hour into it:

Beef-Pork-1.md.jpg

Just started spritzing. More later . . .

BD

Smoke on! We had severe weather here beginning Saturday morning, which included ice, snow, +45mph winds and will bring -10*f overnight. I got so worked-up Wednesday and Thursday preparing for the worse that I was emotionally drained and resorted to the Instant Pot yesterday and today. I was fretting about losing power, so I loaded-up on K1 for heat and planned some recipes in case I HAD to use the grill or smoker.

Once I get up to temp, Lynn, I run the bottom vent at about half, sometimes a little less.

Working op the third load in the SnS.

BD

So, as promised, here are the final products:

Pepper Stout Beef (didn’t have a Guinness, so I had to settle for Newcastle):

PSB-1.md.jpg

Pulled pork BBQ:

BBQ-1.md.jpg

It never ceases to amaze me how much loss there is when I cook these products. My chucky started out at 4 lbs. and I ended up with less than 2 lbs., not including the peppers/onions. I started with an 8 lb. butt and packed up less than 4 lbs. Just curious, how does this measure up with what you guys are getting?

BD

Haven't done the chuck, but the pork is bout right, I guess that's why they were the least desirable cuts. Brisket is bout the same, except it's no longer a cheap cut thanks to Aaron Franklin. ( and side note, I'm pecking this out on a tablet, that's new to me, and when I pecked Aaron F. ...... It auto suggested Franklin. He is mainstream )

A!so, the chuck looks great, will have to try that.

Thanks, Lynn. I love doing chuckies. I usually get the meat dept. to cut me a four pounder as the prepackaged ones are usually too thin, in my opinion, for smoking.

BD

Back