Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New HM 4.3 Build - Wonky Pit Probe Port Issue

TVWBB Diamond Member
    When you add the RD3 are you still connecting the probes to the HM or are you using them remote through the RD3? Are you using the hand wired RD3 or do you have the RDTC board?
    I created the Roto Damper, RD3, HMv4.2 sliding back case, "air-burner" and the "ping-pong" valve in my quest for delicious "set and forget" BBQ.

The probes are connected to the heatermeter , and the rd3 is connected to the HM with a cable.. Forgot to mention that the probe 1 voltage is the same as probe 2 &3.

When the voltages are checked the RD3 is not connected

TVWBB Diamond Member
    Since the probe circuits are not connected to the CAT5 cable in any way by default the issue must be related to voltage... I would try a different power supply, sometime the servo moving and the blower blowing can brown out the 1A power supply and make the HM do strange things.
    I created the Roto Damper, RD3, HMv4.2 sliding back case, "air-burner" and the "ping-pong" valve in my quest for delicious "set and forget" BBQ.

It had crossed my mind will try tomorrow

Ralph
    Ok tried a different pwr supply same results.this is what i have input voltage 12.06 the pads on the board above the probe jacks 1=grd 2=3.280 3=3.231 4=3.276 5=3.2766=3.276 I have 3.276 at the jacks, with probe in it dropped to 2.952 on all 3.on the atmega238p i have 3.199 on pin 28 (pit) on pin 27 i have 3.245(probe 1)pin 26 an 25 (probe 2&3 i have 3.245) all three circuits for probes have the same voltage. I know the 3.3 is a little low and the 3.2 a little high bit that might be the meter. On the 5 volts i read 4.95 volts.These are readings with out the rd3 plugged in or the cable. Outside of prob 1 reading an room temp og 182 degrees ( i can see this in Florida on a summer day, don't know how they survive there) everything works perfect just probe 1 is having a problem. And i'm having trouble posting this

TVWBB Diamond Member
    Well, I am at a loss because the probe jacks do not connect to the CAT5 jack, therefore plugging in a servo and blower should not effect the probe readings (unless it was somehow effecting system voltages)....
    I would make sure you have a good CAT5 cable, make sure it is NOT a crossover cable, make sure things are wired cleanly on your RD3 cat5 jack (no shorts etc). Other than that IDK what to say....

TVWBB Honor Circle Bryan Mayland's Avatar
    I'm a little confused, can you clarify:
    You see the same results with no output plugged into the HeaterMeter?
    When you just have 12V in and plug a probe in, all the probes read the same value?
    The issue is when you plug in Food 1 / Probe 1 only, or does it do the same thing if only something is plugged into Probe 2 or Probe 3?

That second one sounds like they're all bridged together somehow. That you can check with the power off and see if any of the pins on the "PROBES" pin header shows continuity to any other pin. Also be sure that you didn't install the 10k resistor on the thermocouple probe, but I do not think that would cause these symptoms.
    I'm that HeaterMeter guy what ruins everybody's free time.

Ok here's what i have, put hm together several weeks ago without rd3 and cabling. Used it for a cook as a thermometer only and probe 1 work fine. Then last week i put rd3 together and connected it with a cable. Servo and blower worked fine. Then did a pork butt and plugged probe 1 into the butt, noticed the temp was really high while on the kitchen counter,pulled probe out of butt and it showed a room temp of 185 degrees. Moved to probe 2 &3 jacks and temp was normal tried the other probes in one and got same 185 reading. Did the 10 hour smoke using probe 2 and the Blower and servo worked great. As it sits now without the rd3 and cable connected, i get the voltages mentioned above.The only change to the HM from the first time was to change the probe display colors and get the rd3 working.
    I'll check the probe pins now for you Bryan

JUst measured the pins on the jacks and are not bridged together. Every probe i plug into jack 1 reads 185 degrees. The voltage on the tip of the probes read 2.95 plugged in on all 3 jacks. Could the atmega chip be getting a little flaky? I even measured the voltage on the chip legs to make sure they were connect to the pc board through the socket. This has me stumped do to it being a simple circuit

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast