Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Q lid repaint

Yeah, Bruce, I am afraid I bought a bunch of paint I won’t be able to use. Some of the colors are so attractive it is hard to resist. I wonder how it would work if I painted a base coat of one of those extreme high heat paints, cured that and then painted with engine paint followed by an extreme heat clear coat? A lot of extra work, but the engine paint is a sunk cost and comes in the kind of colors I am after. I would still like to find a way to make it work.
    Genesis Platinum Skyline 3200 Q1200"Flat-top" 26 Kettle Red,Black 22s 1Touch Platinum, Black '74 18, JJ & SJ. Projects: Genesis 4, 2 many!

Jon,
    That might work....but only trying it will give you the answer. I thought it would be cool to use one of those Anodized colors for a Q lid.
    Some people rescue dogs and cats. I rescue Webers.

TVWBB Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Tofte View Post
    Yeah, Bruce, I am afraid I bought a bunch of paint I won’t be able to use. Some of the colors are so attractive it is hard to resist. I wonder how it would work if I painted a base coat of one of those extreme high heat paints, cured that and then painted with engine paint followed by an extreme heat clear coat? A lot of extra work, but the engine paint is a sunk cost and comes in the kind of colors I am after. I would still like to find a way to make it work.
    I will check with my colleague that received the other one I upcycled to see how his paint is doing , he collected it in the week and had it fired up on Friday.
    Owner of Q100 Q200 Q220 and

As mentioned, the 550 degree paints should be avoided. I have been using the VHT products for
    over a year now have great results with the caliper paint, and the flame proof. Also Jon, you are
    correct about the using the gloss over the flat. It works very well, and make the flats shine up
    like a new dime.
    E330 1997 Genesis 1000 Blue Performer wsm22 :wsm18: :wsm14: 1983 Red Head Chiefs NFL Edition

TVWBB Member
    Dave in KC: when you use the caliber paint or Flame Proof, do you use the VHT high heat primer first and then the VHT clear on top? Thanks, Richard.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave in KC View Post
    As mentioned, the 550 degree paints should be avoided. I have been using the VHT products for
    over a year now have great results with the caliper paint, and the flame proof. Also Jon, you are
    correct about the using the gloss over the flat. It works very well, and make the flats shine up
    like a new dime.
    Dave,

Do you think my sandwich idea has any merit? I am going to at least try it on my own Q2200 and see what happens. If it is a flop that’s what paint stripper and an angle grinder wire brush are for!
    Genesis Platinum Skyline 3200 Q1200"Flat-top" 26 Kettle Red,Black 22s 1Touch Platinum, Black '74 18, JJ & SJ. Projects: Genesis 4, 2 many!

Quote Originally Posted by Richard in NS View Post
    Dave in KC: when you use the caliber paint or Flame Proof, do you use the VHT high heat primer first and then the VHT clear on top? Thanks, Richard.
    Richard, I have not used the primer.

Jon, I do not think it will work, but I really do not know for sure.
    At this point, you might at well give it a try. If you happen to have a
    parts grill with NG burners, you could connect propane, fire that up to
    800-900 degrees and give it a good test.
    E330 1997 Genesis 1000 Blue Performer wsm22 :wsm18: :wsm14: 1983 Red Head Chiefs NFL Edition

I used Rust-Oleum 2,000 degree High heat paint that I baked in the oven. It has been three years since it was painted and still looks like the day I did it.
    SSP, Sprit 310SS, 14.5 WSM, Q100, Smokey Joe

Quote Originally Posted by Allen Bales View Post
    I used Rust-Oleum 2,000 degree High heat paint that I baked in the oven. It has been three years since it was painted and still looks like the day I did it.
    Oh I bet your wife was REALLY pleased with you

TVWBB All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Tofte View Post
    Dave,

Do you think my sandwich idea has any merit? I am going to at least try it on my own Q2200 and see what happens. If it is a flop that’s what paint stripper and an angle grinder wire brush are for!
    I have had paint issues will update the Silver C thread also. I just did my UDS a month ago used Krylon High heat and I sprayed the VHT Satin Flameproof clear. I let everything cure but I really wish I had fired the UDS up and baked this stuff for awhile. I bought a inexpensive cover for it which I put on and this weekend I decided to add another mod to it the damn cover stuck to the lid its been hot but it was under a covered deck. I think its okay looks like the cover with the heat of the sun stuck to the clear, did not really leave that much damage hard to describe so going to fire it up this weekend as I need to do a test burn anyway.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast