Not listening to the siren call...

Jon Tofte

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
They are everywhere! Here is what looks to be a fairly nice current generation Summit 4-burner.

mvsryw.jpg

https://offerup.com/item/detail/574009947/

It has the rotisserie and rear infrared (although no spit showing - motor is built into side trap door). Also has smoker box and burner and the side burner. By the way, on these if you just have no use for the smoker box you CAN buy an extension grate and add grill space with another burner. Naturally, he DOESN'T show the inside of the cabinet where all the rust hides. $400 seems optimistic (two months listing seems to prove that), but who knows...

Anyway, I will never listen to this current generation Summit siren call again - never, ever again - even if the grill was free!

Last edited:
I have learned in life 65 this year never say never. :)

A Summit Platinum at a great price or a miracle 1st generation Summit, maybe...A current generation Summit at any price, any location - NEVER, NEVER, NEVER!:mad: Even us old dogs can learn from bad mistakes;)

For the money I wasted on my Summits now waiting their trip to the metal recycler I could have gotten two sets of rcplanebuyer grates:(. I am hoping the Summit grates I salvaged will be at least some consolation. I got some cutoff wheels for my grinder. $5.99 for ten with my HF coupon:eek:. Hope to try out trimming a set down next week.

Last edited:
Yah, I nearly went down the Summit rabbit hold, but I have learned to trust the opinions of others on this list. They are tempting from outward appearance though.

"Patience, young Grasshopper".

You have learned well Grasshopper of course you maybe to young to even know what that means. Bruce and Larry will get it.:)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W2yIkDVs0cA

Oh, not at all. I remember Kung Fu and David Caradine quite well. That’s a good clip and perfect for this grasshopper:eek:!

The Summit road is fraught with a lot of expensive and labor intensive traps. Like I said, a Platinum version, second generation might make a cool personal grill if you want one that big and have the money.

Jon, there was a Lynx Sedona here last year for $700
It was in excellent condition. It sold in a few days before i got to it.
These are great grills but rarely come up for sale.

I have shied away from Summits so far. I may take on one if it is really really cheap and has no rust. Maybe....
I tried 2009 Geneis because I got it really cheap and a 2013 Spirit because I got a set of of parts worth around $500 for almost for free.
In general i prefer to stick with the pre 2007 Genesis 3 burner grills because there are still many to find and because many or most parts are interchangeable on grills from the 90s to grills till 2007. I can limit my spares repository and in average I might get two grills out of three.

Stefan,
I think you have a very good strategy. The current Summits are a whole different animal with much more complexity, cumbersome and badly subject to rust. I seriously doubt you could flip one very successfully. People in that range tend to want new grills, so you have to really make a compelling restoration. With a Summit, this can get pretty expensive.

Back