Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Few issues....

TVWBB Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by RalphTrimble View Post
    I have a hard time following what you are trying to say, or ask here? (above)

From the parts I do understand it sounds like your HM connected to your router at some point but is not currently connected. That would explain not showing up in the routers device list. I would suggest you momentarily drop security on your router then reboot the HM, see if it connects, look on the HM LCD for an IP to show. If it shows use a computer on your network to connect to that IP with a browser. If you get connected then enable security on your router and see if it still works.

On the HM AP mode and Client mode are two different things, you're running one or the other. In AP mode the HM functions autonomously as its own hotspot, works pretty easily because it doesn't have to interact with other devices, when it does it is in control assigning IP's etc. In Client mode your network is in control, the HM tries to connect to the network using the settings and credentials you have entered in the HM but your router has to allow access and assign IP's etc, so client mode can be more complicated.

I suggest you put your HM in AP mode, connect with your phone and go to network/wifi section. Temporarily turn off security on your router and then SCAN for WIFI networks with your HM, pick your network and try to connect. If that seems to go well you can try the HM devices page to get the IP or watch the LCD for the IP. Use browser from computer on the same network (not the phone that was connected to AP mode) to connect to HM. If it works re-secure your WIFI and cross fingers it keeps working. If it drops then you have an issue with the firewall.

It connects to router, gets ip adresss, shows on hm, showed on hm devices page with error. Also finally shows on router connected connected devices (why 30 min?), But receive unnavailble message when try to go to address.

Hotspotting my phone makes it a router. The assigned ip shows on hm screen. Have to input ssid and pass like any router to connect to it. No problem going to the ip address my phone assigns.

It connected to home router before i disabled that network in the interface thinking that might switch back to AP. Hasnt been able to access via it since, even though has been reset, it does assign the ip when connecting though.

I can try without security maybe, not sure att allows that

What my router shows: no wireless from HM.(lede)
    Last edited by MartinB; 01-27-2019 at 03:39 PM.

TVWBB Diamond Member
    I am still confused. In general for the HM AP mode refers to having the HM be in AP mode, having the HM function as the hot spot. You are referring to making your phone the hotspot?... and if I read you correctly you are saying your HM will connect to your phones hotspot and it works?... but wont connect to your router and work...???
    So first bit of confusion, if your phone is set as a hotspot what do you have connected to your HM to make it scan for and connect to your phones hotspot? When you SCAN on the HM wifi radio does it show your wifi router, and if you select does it appear to connect?
    Funny you say ATT, 'cause I had a HM refuse to connect to my ATT wifi once, I dropped wifi security and it connected, then turned security back on and it still connected... had been beating my head up against the issue for hours prior to deciding to turn of the wifi security to test. That is why I made the suggestion....
    Last edited by RalphTrimble; 01-27-2019 at 03:54 PM.
    I created the Roto Damper, RD3, HMv4.2 sliding back case, "air-burner" and the "ping-pong" valve in my quest for delicious "set and forget" BBQ.

TVWBB Fan
    I am still confused. In general for the HM AP mode refers to having the HM be in AP mode, having the HM function as the hot spot. You are referring to making your phone the hotspot?... and if I read you correctly you are saying your HM will connect to your phones hotspot and it works?... but wont connect to your router and work...???
    So first bit of confusion, if your phone is set as a hotspot what do you have connected to your HM to make it scan for and connect to your phones hotspot? When you SCAN on the HM wifi radio does it show your wifi router, and if you select does it appear to connect?
    Funny you say ATT, 'cause I had a HM refuse to connect to my ATT wifi once, I dropped wifi security and it connected, then turned security back on and it still connected... had been beating my head up against the issue for hours prior to deciding to turn of the wifi security to test. That is why I made the suggestion....
    Crossing fingers
    Restarting my home router and now it seems to work.
    Usually thats first thing i do....

But yes...it connected to router, got ip, and wouldnt communicate . A phone is a router in wifi hotspot mode. Enter the ssid and pass on hm wifi page and it connects to that as a client, just like any router, and can access internet via cellular. It did this no problem.

Now to port it
    Last edited by MartinB; 01-27-2019 at 04:01 PM.

TVWBB Diamond Member
    I figured it was an issue with the router rather than the HM.... specially after you said ATT... lol
    Glad you got it working.
    I created the Roto Damper, RD3, HMv4.2 sliding back case, "air-burner" and the "ping-pong" valve in my quest for delicious "set and forget" BBQ.

TVWBB Fan
    I figured it was an issue with the router rather than the HM.... specially after you said ATT... lol
    Glad you got it working.
    Not the end of it.
    Trying to activate ddns
    Updated software list but luci - a p p - ddns wasn't in list
    So filled in the blank to find install it
    Which it did

Got an error on installation
    Get an error when try to remove
    There is no services tab
    So re set configuration on heater meter
    And now the router recognizes it as quote " off"
    Still trying to reboot router again.....

Last edited by MartinB; 01-27-2019 at 06:00 PM.

TVWBB Fan
    So

Ported to 8080

Can connect from internet.....hooray, via router ip and port

But...cannot connect directly via address assigned by router. Its there, it shows on router devices, cannot talk directly to it again. Dont feel like restarting router again to see. Is this normal? Or is ATT router just crap?

Tried no ip.......sucks. dont work.
    Tried dyndnss...... Goes to page...see luci text be at top corner....then sad face and says unnavailable. Sucks too.

What up with this? Direct connect works fine. (Via cell or vpn doesnt work here neither,)

Att uverse router apparently doesnt support ddns. But address doesnt change often if ever i understand. Still be nice if the luci-app-ddns worked.

Also....really cant connect to heatermeter on internal network via outside address, from inside the network. Something about packets writing across port i read...Hmmm...99% of time thats exactly what must be done..from home. Using vpn is a workaround.. lightning fast by comparison.but is there another easier way?
    Last edited by MartinB; 01-27-2019 at 10:35 PM.

TVWBB Honor Circle Bryan Mayland's Avatar
    You're never going to get that luci-app-ddns to work if it requires shellquote(), which wasn't around in the luci core we're using. You have to reset your heatermeter back to default to get any of the webui working again (or ssh in and uninstall that package). You can just manually set your outside IP address in no-ip or dyndns though, and if it doesn't ever change you're good to go indefinitely.

And yes, many routers do not support accessing internal port-forwarded devices by the external IP address or need some special setting to make that work.
    I'm that HeaterMeter guy what ruins everybody's free time.

I used to use a simple curl one-liner to update no-ip before switching to duckdns ( also updates via curl )

You could add this as part of your heatermeter boot sequence or even as a scheduled cron job.

Doing DDNS updates is yet another task I leave to my 24x7 running RasPi I have in the basement. To me, unless you're travelling with the HM, it doesn't make sense to task it with doing DDNS updates.

TVWBB Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by Bryan Mayland View Post
    You're never going to get that luci-app-ddns to work if it requires shellquote(), which wasn't around in the luci core we're using. You have to reset your heatermeter back to default to get any of the webui working again (or ssh in and uninstall that package). You can just manually set your outside IP address in no-ip or dyndns though, and if it doesn't ever change you're good to go indefinitely.

And yes, many routers do not support accessing internal port-forwarded devices by the external IP address or need some special setting to make that work.
    Couldnt find any special setting to access the forwarded port by external address in my router. But connecting via vpn isnt bad. Just slows internet a tad . At least conecting via router lets have internet access while monitoring cook. I was using two devices.

I take it i should still be able to connect direct on my assigned internal ip when port forwarded, and not being able is an artifact of my router? I let router assign the ip then made it fixed so id always have same bookmark.....but not been able to connect directly anymore. I can try restart again..

Yeah, if my external ip is constant...no need for ddns service. Just a bookmark. But i set up two with the address....neither worked....even trying over cell or vpn.
    Last edited by MartinB; 01-28-2019 at 08:24 AM.

TVWBB Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by MartinB View Post
    Couldnt find any special setting to access the forwarded port by external address in my router. But connecting via vpn isnt bad. Just slows internet a tad . At least conecting via router lets have internet access while monitoring cook. I was using two devices.

I take it i should still be able to connect direct on my assigned internal ip when port forwarded, and not being able is an artifact of my router? I let router assign the ip then made it fixed so id always have same bookmark.....but not been able to connect directly anymore. I can try restart again..

Yeah, if my external ip is constant...no need for ddns service. Just a bookmark. But i set up two with the address....neither worked....even trying over cell or vpn.

So I reconfigured the heater meter in order to get rid of the faulty Lucy - A P P - ddns.

On restarting it connected to the router and..... You can access it from the router by typing the IP address. I had to go in and forward the port 8080 again. Could still access it from the router by typing the IP address. But could not access it over the Internet through the port. Until re booted the heater meter by turning off the power and turning it back on.

After that you can access it over the internet, but not via directly from the router.

So it does not appear that my router allows you to access a device directly if it is ported to 8080. Probably could when it was ported to 80 , but att isnt compatible with that, but the 8080 even after changing , really didn't take place until it was restarted?
    Last edited by MartinB; 01-28-2019 at 06:29 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast