How would you paint thermoset tables?

TonyS T-Bone

TVWBB Super Fan
Weekend wondering:

So I've got $1 into a Genesis Gold curb find in C+ condition and I'm thinking of doing something interesting with paint. Think "team" colors. I know the S.O.P. with end caps, firebox and frames, but IF - if - my design scheme would feature a different color on the thermo tables, how would I go about it, and lastly am I going down the bottomless rabbit hole?

I know how to clean, how to prep, and I understand paints and there are paints made exclusively to paint plastics. It's the adhesion science that I lack. And the courage lol. Don't want to scratch paint off my nice table just because I drop a fork on it.

Has anyone tried it? If so send pics.

I would be worried about the tables for sure you would need to clear coat it after you painted try to stay with the same line of paints. I did the knobs on my 1000 with this and holding up very well. https://www.homedepot.com/p/Rust-Ol...-General-Purpose-Spray-Paint-334086/307244952

I am doing a Silver C over and I am going to paint the end plastic caps with that paint and it will be clear coated probably will end up doing the lid handle also with a high heat clear to be safe but have not decided yet. I will leave the tables alone probably just rub them down with 301 but it also intrigues me whether to clear coat them or not, I have a Silver B that I needed for parts on the C so might take one of those tables and experiment with cleaning it and shooting it with 3 coats of clear.

The only reason since it seems you want a different color was the line of paints I posted for an example. I will tell you if it says it has primer do not prime before painting it will be a disaster if you use something else ask me how I know.

I am very interested to see how these experiments work out. I am skeptical that they will last much like the black knobs, I think that eventually, the paint will fail. Depending on how the thermoset tables are used and cared for, it could last a long time, but I think eventually, scratches and scuffs will present. And, unless you use a type of high heat paint, I would be careful about what I set on them. Those tables were made out of a solid thermoset for a reason. This could be minimized with a fresh coat of something very similar in color and shade to the thermoset color, but if you are thinking a dark color, any kind of damage would show up loud.

But, hey if someone figures out a way to do it and it lasts, I am interested.

I am interested, too. Restoring thermoset with light sanding and something like 301 can do wonders, but for a custom color look, I am not sure. I have certainly seen junker grills with the tables pained black. But no observation of a nice job or how it holds up over time.

I agree with Brian’s clear coat recommendations. The more protection the better. Next time I paint knobs or other trim, I plan to follow his advice.

I agree Bruce on the tables your gonna drop something on them its gonna happen. But if it was me doing a table I would spay them with a rusto color let them sit for 8 days so the paint fully cures then spray them with some high heat clear then again let them sit for another 7 days. Not sure the high heat clear is necessary but it won't hurt besides you can use it as you did to do the emblems when they are done so it can be used for other things.

I would also start with some Krud Cutter or Simple green and rub them down with a Mr Clean eraser to ensure they are totally grease free. The 2 tables I am doing now coming out very nice with the krud cutter and the eraser then rinsed obviously.

If color is what you're after maybe get some anodized sheet aluminum (easy to find at many places like Farm & Fleet, or other places that sell sheet metal) find a color you like and make an inset piece. Than no worries about peeling paint

Larry, are you saying to fasten the aluminum sheet to the top of the thermoset table? Or what do you mean by "Inset"?

Weekend wondering:

So I've got $1 into a Genesis Gold curb find in C+ condition and I'm thinking of doing something interesting with paint. Think "team" colors. I know the S.O.P. with end caps, firebox and frames, but IF - if - my design scheme would feature a different color on the thermo tables, how would I go about it, and lastly am I going down the bottomless rabbit hole?

I know how to clean, how to prep, and I understand paints and there are paints made exclusively to paint plastics. It's the adhesion science that I lack. And the courage lol. Don't want to scratch paint off my nice table just because I drop a fork on it.

Has anyone tried it? If so send pics.

Bob Correll did paint his performer thermo table quite awhile ago. Shoot him a PM and ask how it's holding up.

Larry, are you saying to fasten the aluminum sheet to the top of the thermoset table? Or what do you mean by "Inset"?

Yep exactly. Carefully cut a sheet and make an inset or insert for the side table. Done correctly it could look really nice

Yep exactly. Carefully cut a sheet and make an inset or insert for the side table. Done correctly it could look really nice

That's pretty much how the side tables on the Genesis Platinum work. They used a plain gray plastic and inset square stainless flat pieces.

i5zxix.jpg

I sent a PM to Bob curious how it worked out and how he did them, put the link from this thread so hopefully he responds when he has time.

Yah, but those are recessed. I don't see how you would be able to do that with a sheet of aluminum.

Bruce,

I will post close-ups of my Platinum. Working a lot right now, so give me a day or so. I kind of think the stainless may actually just be a thin sheet glued on top. To make it flush, you would have to come up with a way to cleanly route out a shallow recess to drop in your metal pieces. Well beyond the skill of this elf, but I am sure there are some here who know how to do it and have the right tools.

Bruce,

I will post close-ups of my Platinum. Working a lot right now, so give me a day or so. I kind of think the stainless may actually just be a thin sheet glued on top. To make it flush, you would have to come up with a way to cleanly route out a shallow recess to drop in your metal pieces. Well beyond the skill of this elf, but I am sure there are some here who know how to do it and have the right tools.

Good luck trying to route a shallow access for those to drop in but the people on this board come up with stuff which I have never even thought off. That would be hard though you got to cover a pretty wide span at a precise depth. Thinking you could do it on the top table since it has the recess of course it needs to be laser cut or else looks like crap.

By the way gluing the insert piece would be no big deal plenty of adhesives that would work for that.

I am interested, too. Restoring thermoset with light sanding and something like 301 can do wonders, but for a custom color look, I am not sure. I have certainly seen junker grills with the tables pained black. But no observation of a nice job or how it holds up over time.

I agree with Brian’s clear coat recommendations. The more protection the better. Next time I paint knobs or other trim, I plan to follow his advice.

Was 301 a typo ? I use 303 on my tires for my car and it is awesome.

Bruce,

The plastic part of the Platinum tables is actually different from the normal tables. They are thicker and are recessed to allow for the SS insert being flush. I guess the SS insert is glued in.

He meant 303 if you got that you are good.

https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00J8NKGSG/tvwb-20

That is a very good price for that on Amazon a really good price.

I have used the wipes just did not work as well as the spray better to use the spray on a cotton t shirt or whatever then rub the surface down. I really wish they made that product with a little more gloss to it if you know what I mean it is pretty flat.

Last edited:
That is only a 10 ounce bottle. Not really that great of a price. But if you just need it to do a few grills it's plenty. If you use it to detail your car truck fairly often it will not last very long

Yes, sorry about that! I meant the 303 stuff. It may not give as dramatic short-term results as some products, but I like that it isn't so greasy and I believe delivers better long-term UV protection.

The plastic part of the Platinum tables is actually different from the normal tables. They are thicker and are recessed to allow for the SS insert being flush. I guess the SS insert is glued in.

Yes, that is correct. I am sorry I didn't get to posting pictures sooner. It is a very busy year-end time at my regular not for profit job, plus tax season is beginning:eek:...

Here are a couple pictures of the Platinum that I am still working on. As Stefan says, the tables are different and do have recesses for the stainless inserts to go in. I imagine they are just glued in. I suppose you could glue metal on top of a regular thermoset table as-is, but without doing it as an insert I don't think it be long before the metal started started to lift off and grease and dirt would get caught underneath.

20u7o0h.jpg

qys38n.jpg

I really do like these grills:eek:! Admittedly, not elegant and classy like a wood slat 1000, but the pinnacle of the more practical Silver/Gold/Platinum era. Only painted metal is the aluminum firebox and lid sides. Everything else is stainless steel or plastic. (Oh, it is true, sadly, that the lower cabinetry other than the front doors was made from painted steel:mad:. That is what I am still working on to come up with a workaround...)

i5zxix.jpg

Last edited:

Back