Just came across this.......interesting

Yep, alot more ways to do chuck roasts besides pulling or pot roast.
I've done the grilled roast before and it's worth it. Google Jack Daniels grilled chuck roast.
I love that guys set!

Tim

Chuck roasts can be superb. Have you ever tried Chuckeye steaks? A lot like Ribeye, but not as expensive.

I am a huge fan of the smoked chuck. I do those a few times a year.
Also when doing so, I will smoke a couple others but pull them after
about 90 minutes, then seal and freeze. They are great to toss in the
crock pot on some random weekday morning with some broth and beef
consomme, a few veggies and come home in the evening to a nice easy meal.

May have to give the roast method a shot. Only thing I'd do different is have it drip into baby potatoes, not veggies

I have a gorgeous prime grade chuck in the fridge right now for tonight's supper. It's a balmy 10 deg outside with a stiff breeze. If that wind is not directly at my Genesis on the deck it just might go on a rack over some shrooms, carrots, onions and such in a shallow roaster pan with a little smoking packet and nothing more than S&P on the meat and a side dish of mashed taters smothered in those drippings on from the veg. Barring that if that balmy breeze is right at the grill it may just go in the convection oven doing same thing at 325 for enough time to bring to mid rare

I don’t have the experience some of you guys do, but I have enjoyed making “faux” burnt ends using chuck roast. It is a realistic substitute when you aren’t up for a monster size whole brisket. I have only made “real” burnt ends once. Most people here in Florida have never heard of or had burnt ends. It is a fun introduction!

sywoq1.jpg

4tx4lk.jpg

dng4zb.jpg

I have never posted in this section. Sorry, I suppose this should be in the barbecuing section, but I noticed the discussion about chuck roast.

Last edited:
Well I did it. I braved the balmy -15 wind chill and -2 temps. Actually the wind on that side of the house wasn't too awful bad so I braved it. I seared the roast much like a giant steak. I prepped a baking dish of veg (shrooms, carrots, onions, garlic and celery) put a rack over that to hold the roast and once seared gave it temps I tried to hold as close to 325 as I could. The cold was my enemy and it was very difficult to find a sweet spot. So I had temps all over the map from about 275 up to 425. I timed it as well as I could and pulled it at as close to 125 as I could figuring I would allow heat rise to be my friend (it actually wasn't).
The roast ended up a little less than mid rare I was shooting for mid rare to a little more to the medium side (trying to take advantage of the extra marbling and what not a chuck has).
In the end because I had such a hard time holding temps, the veg was ruined (I should have put some wine or stock down there) I did not because I thought the drippings and juices coming off the veg along with the moderate heat would help me out. WRONG! So in the end I lost the veg. The roast itself a but more chewy than I would have liked but not really TOO bad, great flavor though.
Bottom line I intend to do this again. In more moderate temps outdoors, and than being able to keep a better average temp in the grill. Also this time will see wine in that baking dish. But bottom line I was encouraged enough to try it again as a "Sunday" roast.

cJkXWHs.jpg

aPq3Ke1.jpg

I've never tried the "roasting" method for a chuckie (or the Burnt Ends trick, for that matter). I've always gone the PSB route.

But I'm always looking for something new and will be giving both of these a try this season ! ! !

BD

Last edited:
Jon, no reason to not post that here! I like the idea of Chuck ends really! I might have to work on that.
I’ve been smoking a Chuck when I do a butt, why not just get more use out of a load of coal? If it’s going to be burning, use it as fully as possible!

Last edited:
I don’t have the experience some of you guys do, but I have enjoyed making “faux” burnt ends using chuck roast. It is a realistic substitute when you aren’t up for a monster size whole brisket. I have only made “real” burnt ends once. Most people here in Florida have never heard of or had burnt ends. It is a fun introduction!

Jon,
My wife and I went to Sams and picked up a 2pack of chuck roasts just so I could try your idea.....
I have to say, they were FREAKIN AWESOME!!! 6-6.5 hours at 275°-300° and they were ready to go. My family loved them and asked when I was going to do them again!! I think I have found my new go-to for get-togethers and parties!
Thanks for sharing,
Tim

Back