I'm planning a pork butt cook

Lynn Dollar

TVWBB Emerald Member
For a long cook , weather this time of year is iffy so I'm thinking semi high heat, 275 to 300* . I'm gonna buy 8# butts or smaller and do four of them on the stick burner.

How long a cook should I prepare for ? Tomorrow looks to be my best weather day in a while, cept we have a cold front suppose to move through tomorrow evening. I'm gambling weatherman has the timing right or I might be cooking in a storm.

I've been doing the Chris Lilly high heat cook from the " cooking topics " page on my WSM, but I'd rather not wrap the butts using my stick burner.

That sounds like a fun cook. After my experience cooking that brisket on my offset at 275 to 300 and it cooking in 7 hrs, I'm convinced the air flow of an offset speeds up the stall considerably. I'm thinking you'll get something similar even though a 8# lb butt is going to be thicker than any brisket. I'd plan on maybe 8 to 10 hours. I've done a high heat butt on my offset closer to 350 and did in probably around 5.

Edit: I found my post when I did that butt awhile back.

https://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?57616-High-Heat-Pulled-Pork&highlight=butt+offset

Last edited:
Thanks for the link to the cook, that helps.

But I did not go buy the butts, I got cold feet ;) ....... weatherman missed today's forecast and he missed yesterday, I'm thinkin I don't wanna gamble on tomorrow. That's a serious cold front headed our way.

I was thinkin 8 hours, but wanted to know other's experience. I've always done the high heat cook on the WSM, so I have no experience with long cooks. I did not want to foil and finish in the oven, I don't like the bark when I foil, wanted to see what my offset would produce leaving it on to the end.

Its really hard to babysit a stick burner this time of year. I usually enjoy sitting on the patio with a cold one and tending the fire, but not when its 40* .

The weather guessers do get it right now and then and more often when it going to be miserable. Back pedaling on this one may well prove the smart move!

I have to admit, I was asking a lot of them to give me exact timing on a cold front two days ahead. But I had to buy the meat yesterday and once I did that, I was committed.

Its looking like I could've got in an 8 hour smoke, saying 60* for the high and the front hits 5 to 6 pm this evening. But they missed the high temp for the last two days by 10* and that was a " day of " prediction.

I'm tired of winter.

You’ve had it a lot worse than we have here in SW Michigan that for sure. It looks like we are about to get spanked For a few days,
Temperature is dropping pretty quickly today, 2-5” of snow guessed at for tonight through tomorrow, low of 4* tomorrow night, -4* for Sunday night!
I’m tired of winter too!

We might be on the southern edge of it. But I'm seeing maybe a high of 43 tomorrow. All things considered, this has pretty mild winter for us. I really wanna cook something with the slow n sear, but something not too long like some baby backs. If not that, some steaks.

I could've gotten the smoke in. And it was a nice day except for the 20 mph wind.

We're suppose to have a high of 31 tomorrow.

This morning,it’s 20* with about 3” of fluffy snow! This is the high temp for the day. Maybe for the whole blooming weekend! I am going to go out and blow the snow in the driveway so it does not get packed hard and become icy and slick.
Good day for inspecting my eyelids for holes!

We've had a cold winter, November was way colder than normal, but not severely cold. This pic is my tomato/onion garden last week. I plant a winter cover of oats, rye, and austrian pea. They are hardy plants and will tolerate temps down to 10* to 15* before the die off. But we've not had that this year. My garden is usually all brown right now and I'm about a week away from chopping it down and tilling it in and planting onions first week of Feb.

ToPx8mE.jpg

Last edited:
Well, I’ve blown the driveway twice now, about six inches this morning and another three about an hour ago, I live on a busy street and the county plows go past at 40mph throwing slag all the way along the sidewalk and up the driveway mouth regularly. If I let it get very deep my blower won’t cut through it.

Well, I’ve blown the driveway twice now, about six inches this morning and another three about an hour ago, I live on a busy street and the county plows go past at 40mph throwing slag all the way along the sidewalk and up the driveway mouth regularly. If I let it get very deep my blower won’t cut through it.

I think I'll be happy with our 28* and 16* wind chill.

No one is panicking here, I didn’t start the car or go anywhere today, just fire in the fireplace, blew snow and made dinner for the family.
I’ve never understood the “Buy eggs and bread and milk” mentality, I mean, how much French toast can you really eat without getting maple syrup?
I generally get meat and vegetables!
To tell the truth, I did make French toast this morning, with Brioche and it was wonderful!

Back