Looking for advice on minimalist set of Weber (or other) grills.

David Nord

TVWBB Member
If you could only keep three grills (portable, charcoal, gasser), which three would you keep or recommend?

I'm asking because I have limited space (townhouse), frequently tailgate/camp and am new to the Weber line.

Currently, I have an '05 Genesis Gold C and Skyline rehab project.

Looking to add a portable (Q or Go) and charcoal (Performer?). WSM is a given.

So, my current stable looks like:

1. Smoker - WSM 18.5"
2. Gasser - 2005 Genesis Gold C
3. Charcoal - Thinking Performer, but not sure which to get or open to other ideas.
4. Portable - Thinking Q, but not sure which to get. Looking for something to throw in the back of the truck and go.

Trying to develop a CL/OfferUp/Letgo shopping list for the coming year... Thanks!

Last edited:
I have a performer and I love it the gas assist its a great feature and having the table is a bonus also. The down side is it will take up a lot more room than just a 22 kettle. I've had both a baby Q and a gas go anywhere. Both did well I just preferred the go anywhere grill.

I have asked myself this question before. If I had to thin the herd to 3 it would be the Performer, the 18.5 WSM and the Q1200 with it's stand.

I have an '05 Gold/Platinum C and a Performer. One gasser and one charcoal grill is enough for me. Since I hardly ever smoke anymore I have put my 18.5" WSM out there for sale together with a 22" kettle. I prefer the performer over the kettle because of the work height and the added table.
I don't need a portable grill. When we go camping all campsites normally have grills and I carry one or two dutch ovens. But I carry a propane/gas camp stove since I don't want to start up some charcoal just to make some coffee or eggs on the griddle.

A Q would definitely fit into my plan. My personal preference would be for a 200/2000 on a stand. I feel they are a perfect compromise between portability and capacity. But if you don’t see that need, a 100/1000 series offers more BTU per inch and is also a wonderful grill. Getting the higher end version (1200/2200) gets you a taller hood, thermometer, electric igniter and some more style.

I agree 100% on the Q with what Jon said. Depending on how many you might want to cook for on the Q, you should get either the Q1000 or Q2000 or one of their variants such as Q100 Q200. Get either with a portable stand and you will have a grill you can use for camping and tailgating and at home for quick cooks for a few people. The Q100 is good for 2-3 people and the Q200/2000 is good for one or two more people. Both are easily transported and very simple grills that are basically bullet proof but very functional.

I think you are set on the gasser and smoker you already have. I will let others chime in on the coal burner.

Good advice as usual.

On second thought, I probably don't need two coal burners but I do love the look of a blue Performer and see used ones on sale at good prices. Also, sometimes I just prefer charcoal grilling.

Will look out for a Q1200 or similar now.

Performer, Jumbo Joe, Genesis Silver C. I used to use a Smokey Joe for my portable, but the JJ can cook for a whole group of us. I never use my gasser (it's for the wife).

I would love to get a blue performer. That would match my blue Platinum Frankengrill. But colored kettles are are very rare find in our area. And same here on weekends I love to use charcoal once a while.

I have a 1000, a performer and a UDS for smoking. I would love to have a WSM but just don't smoke enough anymore to justify the cost, I built the UDS myself for maybe $100 and it works perfectly has a very large charcoal basket which I made and can easily do a brisket on one load of charcoal.

The performer is my go to grill on the weekends for wings and such but the 1000 gets the weekday duties but to be honest its only me and the wife now so the 1000 might get used once a week if that.

Back