Has anybody ever seen one of these?

Jon Tofte

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
While perusing Letgo, this unusual grill showed up for $50:

IV8vUMa.jpg

https://us.letgo.com/en/i/gas-grill_6a1eb129-3675-4ff5-97e3-0280f18fbfc1

I only had a brief time to research, but what I found seems to show that these are solid 304 stainless grills with a reputation for getting to high heat fast. I definitely don't want another loser project and really want to stick with Weber grills. However, for $50, I wonder if this might make a cheap platform for adding my "Snap-On" doors and logo? When i researched I found that parts are available - even some aftermarket - and that they are selling essentially the same grill but with doors on the bottom. If the measurements worked out (and the inside isn't a total loss) I am tempted by this as a cheap way to get a "Snap-On" grill done and for sale. At the same time, I would be doing so on a quality grill that won't rust out like the original. The outside looks like it just needs a good cleaning.

I also have my eye on a nice stainless Genesis 330 SE that would certainly work well, too, but it is $200. That is actually a bargain around here (assuming the cabinet isn't really bad - which it doesn't look like it is).

The area this Straubelstone grill is listed in is mostly higher-class expensive homes. If I do go and look I will make sure that dog is constrained:eek:!

Any thoughts?

Last edited:
This look to be $700 or so new....I would guess it has SS rods for that money. It looks like 400 to 450 sq inch grill area. It also looks like it comes with a half tank. If he let go for $30 that may work. The only thing that may need to worry about it the burner, no idea what these things use.
Lynk for example, you looking at $250 just for the burner...

This look to be $700 or so new....I would guess it has SS rods for that money. It looks like 400 to 450 sq inch grill area. It also looks like it comes with a half tank. If he let go for $30 that may work. The only thing that may need to worry about it the burner, no idea what these things use.
Lynk for example, you looking at $250 just for the burner...

Actually, looks pretty reasonable:

https://www.thebbqdepot.com/brands/...MI0LDpzevu3wIVCY_ICh2-XwWFEAAYAyAAEgL-sfD_BwE

$70 to replace both sides.

That does look like a utilitarian "tank" grill. It probably isn't a project I would undertake, but it seems right up your alley. I agree in that I think you might be able to get it cheaper. If you offer $25 or $30 and he declines, tell him the offer is still on the table and he can contact you down the road if he changes his mind. That grill isn't particularly sexy and won't appeal to the average used grill buying crowd, he might wind up sitting on it for quite a while.

Those burners look like Q grill burners.

I don’t have any real attraction for this grill, but the straight up 304 stainless construction and the fact that it looks like it might be the right size to adapt the Snap On trim does make me think.

Do you all think a Genesis 300 series would be worth spending more on to make a “Weber” Snap-On grill? All I care about is making an easy as possible route toward recovering at least something. It might be that people seeing that the underneath is a Weber would motivate more interest or maybe a more unique but solid 304 stainless grill would be more appealing.

Yah, Jon, I would always lean towards "WEBER". I think you will find one that you can put that SNAPON on. I don't know if I would spend $200 for an E3xx grill, but if it was in great shape and just needed a good cleaning, then yah.

Maybe keep your eyes open for another (lower Priced) E3xx grill. You don't really need to go down another rabbit hole right now.

Bruce,
I think that is a good idea. The 300 series seems like the best option because with a stainless hood and painting all the gray stuff red it will look a lot like the original design. I also think the Snap-On trim could be adapted to replace the two doors. Then slap on the Snap-On logo in place of the equally cheap Genesis logo and VOILA! Well, sounds good anyway. I don't have any 300 stainless hoods, so I will have to find one. Not in a hurry. I agree I don't want to go down rabbit holes.

You might need to find the right customer willing to pay extra for the Snapon. It really depends who your clients are. I live in the suburbs with a lot of younger folks. We are having a tremendous growth here in regards to white collar jobs. Finance, health care, high tech, corporate headquarters, ... Lots of companies moved in and so did employees from all over the country and the world. Here people love shiny and new style grills. SS sells. Closed carts as well. The old fashioned Weber grills with black lids and open carts with that dated design don't sell well here. At least these are the ones I have a hard time selling. In my area most people would not care about a Snapon logo. I doubt many even know the company. They just want something cool and shiny in their backyard.

Either way, trying to slap a badge on it and selling it as something it's not can be a little risky. Most would either pass on it or buy it and move on but there will always be someone who gets a wild hair in their butt and decides they've been defrauded. Me? I would not do it.
I have the same issue when I rebuild a mixer I am VERY careful to note in all my paperwork I am NOT KitchenAid and that any and all warranty work is to be done only by me. Also even though I know there are mods I can make to some of them to make them last longer i.e. converting a non solid state machine to solid state to keep it going I will not do it for anyone. Risks are too great

I would sell it is a "Weber Genesis E3xx grill modified with the Snapon logo and fascia". As long as you are up front and don't try to hide it, I dont see a problem.

But, I would love to find a Snap On original Weber gasser. My daughter's fiance works at a small auto shop and I am sure they would cherish as Snap On logo grill in the shop.

I would certainly describe my grill exactly as a Weber Genesis and that the trim was applied by me. I would clearly say that it was built using trim from a lousy Snap On grill but that my grill was in no way made by Snap On. With that clearly disclosed I don’t see that much risk and definitely don’t feel I am defrauding Snap On since I am a legitimate owner of the parts. If I was replicating their logos or maybe even the red tool box look that would be different.

I have been thinking along the 300 series because of the doors and the stainless hood. I already have a Silver with closed in cabinetry (some rust of course) and both a red or stainless hood that could be put on it. It might be possible to adapt the tool box drawer trim to it. Maybe I should go that way.

Any suggestions?

I was surprised when you said the Snapon grill was a total los. I thought you were going to do good on that grill. Because I didn't think Snapon would want to put their name on junk. They are supposed to be all about quality and that's how they justify their insane prices. So I think you would actually be doing them a favor by using their logo on a good Weber instead of the garbage they used.

I suppose if you want to protect yourself you just disclose it's a custom creation. I don't see a problem.

Jason,

Yes, I was excited until I realized that my plan for a "quick clean up", just some rust removal on the front panel and a repaint of that part was nowhere near what it was going to take. The inside of the grill was REALLY BAD and without the large drip pan not safely usable in my opinion.

The more I looked at it the more I felt that Snap-On picked a lousy choice to put their premium name on. A Weber would be a much better choice. Also, the model I had was the BIG grill, making it very heavy and cumbersome. I think the best market for this would be an auto repair shop, and most of them would just need a standard grill. I am still thinking about it, but I keep coming back to a stainless Genesis 300 series with the gray sides and firebox painted red. The only hard part would be making doors or door "covers" out of the Snap-On parts I kept. Might have to find someone with higher end metal cutting tools than this CPA's Harbor Freight very limited collection. Otherwise, it would be just another 300 restore and actually a little extra fun with the red custom paint job!

That is the same grill I had but obviously in pristine condition. Goes to show you that people aren't exactly clammering for them. There is someone in my area trying to sell a brand new small one fairly high with similar stall...Still, I was only hoping to get $300 or so. I think a more practical sized grill, priced realistically and marketed directly to auto repair shops might find a buyer. Just listing something like this isn't as helpful. At a $1000 you have priced out the "tool guy" who loves Snap On and thinks it is cool. It's not THAT cool. But aimed at shop owners (who wouldn't normally even be looking for a Snap On grill) a reasonable price might get someone to jump. Also, a Weber underpinning that was well restored would also be a very positive selling point to someone like that. They would at least know the grill itself is actually a GOOD GRILL and not just a show-off piece.

I was surprised when you said the Snapon grill was a total los. I thought you were going to do good on that grill. Because I didn't think Snapon would want to put their name on junk. They are supposed to be all about quality and that's how they justify their insane prices. So I think you would actually be doing them a favor by using their logo on a good Weber instead of the garbage they used.

I suppose if you want to protect yourself you just disclose it's a custom creation. I don't see a problem.

Sadly Snap On (like Crapsmen) has been putting their name on lots of junque. Just look at any big box home improvement store and you will see SO this and that all Chineseum junk. They are slowly but surely killing their good name. You don't see names like Matco doing this stuff but SO is getting really bad

Back