Finding a needle of hope in a haystack of wasted dreams...

Jon Tofte

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
I figured that it is getting a little dead around here with my northern friends fighting off ice and snow, so I thought I would post a few new threads.

In my earlier post (sorry for the double-post mess-up:mad:), I showed what I finally did to my graveyard of accumulated junk projects. What I didn't show was that, in addition to a few side burner and other parts, there was one thing that WAS worth saving: two sets of Summit stainless rod grates. Yes, they are used and one set will take some extra work, but I think they are still very redeemable.

The six-burner Summit has two large grates and one narrow one. I was very surprised to find that the larger ones are virtually identical in width to the ones on a classic Genesis (and Silver/Gold/Platinum). These are HEAVY stainless bars, 3/8" in diameter according to my HF caliper. There are 13 bars per side. Shown here is one half on top of my Skyline Weber cast iron grates:

BbGtrd2.jpg

I know that "rcplanebuyer" grates have 15 bars per side, but I believe these are the same diameter. Can anyone else confirm? The spacing certainly seems adequate to me - maybe even more to my "sear mark" preference.

In any case, salvaging these nice grates might make this bitter pill easier to swallow. Since I just came off trimming down a set of stainless bar grates for my "The Judge" Sunbeam grill, I know that it is not out of the question to cut-off an inch from each end. That would still leave the support bars intact. So, I might wind up with not one, but two, very close to "rcplanebuyer" quality stainless bar grate sets. Maybe I will even try to sell one or even both. It would be nice to cut my losses even a little!

What do you guys think?

Last edited:
I think your best avenue is to put one set in your Skyline and sell the other set to somebody on here!

Jon,
You are correct, the rcplanebuyer SS Grates have 15 bars per side.

I cut down the full size Quilmetal grates for my Junior with a combination of a Dremel and a hacksaw and then just smoothed the edges with my bench grinder.

Jeff

Jon,
You are correct, the rcplanebuyer SS Grates have 15 bars per side.

I cut down the full size Quilmetal grates for my Junior with a combination of a Dremel and a hacksaw and then just smoothed the edges with my bench grinder.

Jeff

Jeff,
I used a cut-off tool and like you a bench grinder to smooth the edges. One end broke off when grinding:mad:, I guess too hard.

I was thinking of getting larger cut-off wheels that go on my grinder this time.

Are the rc grates also 3/8" in diameter?

Dave told me when he makes grates for the older Genesis and such he matches the size and spacing on the 1st generation Summits (like Chris and I have). Those grates are "da bomb" and from a Summit 450 they match exactly to a 1st and 2nd generation Genesis. I think the 3rd and 4th generation Genesis have different width and depth. Also the 2nd generation and beyond Summit grills have different size grates and they will not work on Genesis (at least 1st and 2nd gen Genesis grills

Yah, that is something to look out for on those Summit grills I guess. If you see one for free or close to it, it might be worth grabbing if it has the grates. The rest of the grill can be scrapped if necessary.

Dave told me when he makes grates for the older Genesis and such he matches the size and spacing on the 1st generation Summits (like Chris and I have). Those grates are "da bomb" and from a Summit 450 they match exactly to a 1st and 2nd generation Genesis. I think the 3rd and 4th generation Genesis have different width and depth. Also the 2nd generation and beyond Summit grills have different size grates and they will not work on Genesis (at least 1st and 2nd gen Genesis grills

The current generation Summit six burner "wide" grates are the same width as the original Genesis (and Silver). They are two inches deeper so would have to be cut to fit. It takes some work. The good news is that the placement of the cross support bars is such that you can trim an inch off each end without affecting them and wind up with a nice set of balanced looking grates.

Last edited:
Yep but the spacing between bars on the new generation Summits is wide enough to put your whole finger through. Unlike those stainless bar grates on the 1st gen Summit which are MUCH tighter spacing and truly 300 series stainless basically MUCH better made

I believe those wod be part #9930 and should fit just about every 3 burner Genesis model through 2005. They are seriously sweet.

Back