Roti Cooking

David P Harrisburg

TVWBB Member
For all you roti cookers out there I have a question. I have a WSM 18 and a 22 kettle. I want to get a roti but can`t decide to get one for the WSM 18 or one for the 22 kettle. I have decided either way, it will be a Cajun Bandit. Any help appreciated. Thank you.

I would go for the larger of the two. I think you will find it much more flexible. Way back in the day I used to have one for my 22" (whatever size the larger kettle was back in the late 70's early/mid 80's and I loved the way it worked

Get the 22”! You can do smaller things on the big kettle but, you can’t do something big on the smaller one. You will never regret it!

Both! The one for the 18" WSM will allow direct cooking. You'll get some extra flavor when the drillings hit the coals. The one for the 22" kettle is good for larger cooks and baskets.

Oh Robert, you are the worst enabler!!!
But, you do make a good point, there are advantages to both set ups. David, if you have storage space and finances for both what the heck! I have ten pounds of crap in a five pound garage so, I have learned to (try) to make wiser decisions, doesn’t always work but, I’m still trying.
Have a good time!
Drat! Now I want a whirly gig for the 18 too!
Hey, Robert did I tell you that you are an enabler?

Last edited:
Oh Robert, you are the worst enabler!!!
But, you do make a good point, there are advantages to both set ups. David, if you have storage space and finances for both what the heck! I have ten pounds of crap in a five pound garage so, I have learned to (try) to make wiser decisions, doesn’t always work but, I’m still trying.
Have a good time!
Drat! Now I want a whirly gig for the 18 too!
Hey, Robert did I tell you that you are an enabler?

Thanks. Or you could get a stacker for the 22" kettle and get by with one rotisserie setup.

I would get a roti for the 22'kettle. I have both grill that you have and more and was glad I chose the bigger roti than a smaller one for the WSM

It depends on how much capacity you need. I have the Cajun Bandit on my 22" kettle and I can probably squeeze 3 whole chickens on it. I suspect that 2 chickens would be the max on the 18". Good luck choosing.

The rotisserie for my 22" kettle is probably my best BBQ investment ever. I paid $125 a few years back, they're about $135 now.

XK5mIfk.jpg

GxJncoK.jpg

I will always have a 22" kettle and it will always have a rotisserie

I got really lucky, I was visiting with my brother and just mentioned I would like one and about a week later a box arrived at my door! I use it a lot, I’ve already shared the mod I did with studs through the rim so I can have a double deck of grates if I need them. Probably one of the best additions to the gadget arsenal one could add!
I could not agree more Chuck! Always will keep one available!

Back