Just bought a 26

M Andreyka

TVWBB Fan
Hi all, new to this forum and after doing some research I decided on the 26.

At first I was going to get the 18 WSM , but already owning a cookshack SM55 I felt I could get better use out of this kettle because of how versatile it is

Anyone else have any input on the 26? I think I made the right choice.

I was really eyeballing that summit but MAN that thing is expensive for a charcoal BBQ, I really don’t get it.

I have a Weber performer, 22 WSM, Weber Genesis and a Weber 26. If I could only keep one, it would be the 26. Best all around outdoor cooker available IMO.

Congrats! My advice is to hurry up and use it :). Since I have WSM's I use those for smoking and the 26 for grilling but I read where tons of people use their kettles for low & slow cooks. Some accomplish that task with the SnS, so perhaps you can visit that site and gain some tips on how to adapt your setup for smoking. I love using the 26 because I usually use a 2 zone config.

Yes I’ve been watching tons of videos, I have a cookshack 55 which is a pork butt machine so for long cooks I will still use that because it’s 100% set and forget.

I was going to get the WSM but like the grill idea, as far as the slow and sear? Meh...I don’t think it’s needed just another gimmick IMO. I think the same results could be had with a water pan with coals stacked to the side.

Congrats on the 26er. I love mine. On phone right now so can't find a link for you, but search around the forum for "mini ranch" or "mini RK". You might like what you find

You definitely made the right choice. I've got a 22.5 Kettle, 22.5 WSM, and a 26er. I cook on the 26er 95% of the time. Yeah, I could use the others more, but I have limited room on my deck. Just an FYI, I use my SnS (originally bought for the 22.5 Kettle) about 50% of the time I cook. Yes, I agree that certainly isn't a "must have" but it does make life a lot easier.

BD

Thanks, yeah I got it put together last night.. man is it big! I think this will be my go to bbq for now on , I plan to customize some toys for it, I want to try to make some sort of baffle like on the summit

I just joined the 26 kettle club earlier this year too but haven't assembled it yet. I want to build a simple cart for it but I don't want to drill holes in it for fears of cracking the bowl. Anyone out there successfully built a cart for the 26er and successfully mounted it without drilling holes in the bowl?

Sam,

That's a pretty good idea, because the new 26ers are famous for their legs sagging. They are just too heavy for those spindly legs. Maybe you could figure a way to clamp down the two handles, otherwise you have to drill.

Yah Jon, for now I'm just in the brainstorming and researching phase of the build...still have to finish the Budweiser Platinum gasser I found earlier this year.

On a phone right now so difficult for me to find the link, but somewhere around here is a thread on my "no drill" mini ranch project. I still haven't completed everything I had planned, but it's been work g just fine for me for a year or two now.

Also, someone over at the WeberKettleClub was making and selling Performer style bowl brackets for 26ers iirc. Lastly, you could always bud a table and drop the kettle in like many have done for 22s.

Sam, when I mounted the 18 in my double barreled cart, I used corner brackets that fit ito where the lip rolls over on the kettle. They were just the right height to match the handle when mounted under the “Deck”. Funny part is I had not measured for that, they simply fit!. It’s been a couple of years with no problems on that. With the larger kettle I’d probably use more than the four I did but, it would depend on the cart material too I suppose.

On a phone right now so difficult for me to find the link, but somewhere around here is a thread on my "no drill" mini ranch project. I still haven't completed everything I had planned, but it's been work g just fine for me for a year or two now.

Also, someone over at the WeberKettleClub was making and selling Performer style bowl brackets for 26ers iirc. Lastly, you could always bud a table and drop the kettle in like many have done for 22s.

Dave,

There are definitely many possible solutions. Yours is really top drawer, especially with those side tables. Kind of like a king-sized, steroid version of my 22" Platinum One-Touch - the one with the oval thermoset side tables. GREAT JOB ON THAT BUILD!

If someone wanted to go really old-fashioned, I always thought it would be cool to make a 26" version of the Weber Sequoia. If you look at how Weber made these, they kept the wood work really simple using the same size slats to build almost everything. A 26" version would make a lot more sense. Not nearly as solid or movable as yours, of course, but it would have it's own merits. Depends a lot on where you plan to keep it and whether you have to move it to use it. And, the old-fashioned look wouldn't appeal to everyone. I do think you could make this without drilling your bowl:

r2ro6c.jpg

Back