“The Judge” is a Keeper

Jon Tofte

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
I did some more sea trials Saturday morning before delving into a day long of honeydo’s. The Judge is now a very powerful little grill. I found that it can be brought to full temp in five minutes or so. Even at one-third level on the control knobs, hood temperatures were in the 500’s and the grates stayed near 800. This is a grill to heat up fast, grill something that doesn’t require a long time and turn it off. Pretty much what I expected, I suppose, when I came up with this off the wall plan.

Picked up some cheap “mock tenderloin”. I tried marinating and some of my one-two seasoning combination of seasoned salt and Dizzy Pig’ “Cowlick”. If you have never tried any of Dizzy Pig’s great selection, I can vouch for their commitment to high quality and no MSG or anti-caking chemicals - just good ingredients. They are a great little company dedicated to bbq.

For a low-cost cut of meat, The Judge delivered some petty good results:

2r3ytk8.jpg

Only problem was that while getting the meat prepared, I got called out for a family locked out of our guest accommodations. I should have turned off the grill but left it on 1/3. It didn’t go thermonuclear, but some of the high-heat paint peeled off the back corner of the firebox. This is predictable based on the too-close proximity of the oversized burner to the edge of the box.

Lesson learned: if you are going to have a muscle car - I mean grill - don’t leave it running - or let a teenager drive it. As some have mentioned, this grill is too dangerous to sell, so it looks to have a permanent home. I just have to find some more space :eek:!

Last edited:
Looks lije it did a great job. The paint coming off may have simply been some missed prep in the area

Looks like it performed as expected. To your point it's a perfect little grill for quick cooks. I use my E320 and that takes awhile to heat up and a couple of burgers on it is kind of overkill. Nice project.

John, what type of high heat paint did you use. Some of it is only rated for about 1000 or 1200 degrees. If you redo it, you might want to get the Rustoleum Automotive High heat stuff rated at 2000 degrees.

Jon I'm glad the Judge didn't melt down on you. Sounds like you have a winner for your intended purpose.

John, what type of high heat paint did you use. Some of it is only rated for about 1000 or 1200 degrees. If you redo it, you might want to get the Rustoleum Automotive High heat stuff rated at 2000 degrees.

Bruce,
Thanks for the tip. I never heard of that. Do you have any suggestions for a good source?

Jon I'm glad the Judge didn't melt down on you. Sounds like you have a winner for your intended purpose.

Greg,
Yeah, I am overall happy with how it works. Perfect for a quick lunch or a few burgers. It is kind if fun to think I need a little special expertise to “drive” it;)!

Back