Brisket - Smoked & oven finish question

Bob Kwasny

Going to smoke my first brisket this weekend.
I wanted to use the Brisket - Smoked & Oven Finished method. My question is can I smoke for 10 hours, refrigerate and then do the oven part the next day?

I always cook them all the way. Refrigerate without slicing Then when the time comes. I get some preformed foil pans. Slice it ,put it in the pans,spray a little apple juice,and then cover the pans with foil. When I slice it i stack it back together just like it was before I sliced it. Then warm in the oven a couple hours at 200 degrees or so.
Might not be the best/right way,but that's how I have been doing it.
Normally I make an injection/spray for brisket instead of apple juice. 2 cups unsalted beef broth,bring to a boil. Put in 2 packages of beef bullion and a tablespoon Worcestershire sauce. But if i didn't have any of that i would lightly use apple juice.

I occasionally do the refrigerate, warm in the oven and slice the next day thing and it comes out great, but it's always finished cooking before I put it in the fridge. If it's not probe tender and you're going to finish in the oven, I suggest you do it right after you take it off the smoker. Lots of ways to do it.

I saw your post but didn't reply because--assuming I'm accurately interpreting your plan--I have never partially-cooked a piece of meat only to complete it at a later date. But I'm not an expert and can't tell you that you definitely cannot do that. As-has already been said, there have been times when I've fully-cooked meat, refrigerated it, then warmed and served the following day. It might be better-stated to say you will cook an item to x temp rather than to cook for x hours since, theoretically, cooking an item for x hours may not reach a safe temp.

As an aside, I frequently cook (smoke) meat and then seal it in Foodsaver bags and freeze to serve later. With little effort, I can dunk the bag in its frozen state in a pot of simmering or near-boiling water and it serves very well.

Good luck on your smoke!

Sure you can. Reading the recipe, after 10 hrs your close to 170, perfectly safe temp for holding overnite.
My only concern is cooling down the brisket safely and for that I would leave it on the counter for about an hour then into the fridge loosely tented.( I would use a cold sheet pan)
I wouldn't wrap it in foil or cover it tightly with foil while still warm, cause that's when the nasties start to form.

Tim

I know I've read an AmazingRibs article of a method of doing exactly this. I can't seem to find it.

Edit: ok I found it:

https://amazingribs.com/more-techni...science/cook-today-serve-tomorrow-wozniak-way

He's doing some kind of hot and fast method, so I don't understand the point. The take away I find with this is rapidly cooling the brisket to refrigerate.

Thanks so much is it exactly what I was looking for. We usually eat dinner at around 4 or 5 and that creates the problem with the slow cook. I go to bed early. Once again thanks to everybody who tried to help I'll let you know how it comes out.

I wouldn't do it that way, but then what do I know? A hot & fast brisket is done in 6-7 hours, so why not cook it all the way and warm up the next day? And how do you do burnt ends using that method? These guys probably know more than me and I'm not disputing their method, I just don't think it would make things any easier for me.

I wouldn't do it that way, but then what do I know? A hot & fast brisket is done in 6-7 hours, so why not cook it all the way and warm up the next day? And how do you do burnt ends using that method? These guys probably know more than me and I'm not disputing their method, I just don't think it would make things any easier for me.

I would use the high heat method but was concerned that I wouldn't get the same finished product. Do you use it and how does it compare to the slow cook method if I did the high heat method I could cook it and eat it for dinner that day. My wife's birthday kids coming over.

Bob, on your high heat finished product concern... More and more professional bbq competition pitmasters are cooking them high heat. Seems to work just fine !!! Some even Excellent !!! :)

My high heat briskets always come out great. Cooking them 16 hours did not produce a better product in my opinion.

I don't know if this is true with briskets, or even relevant, because I've never done it that way. But as far as pulled pork is concerned, when I've frozen extra as chunks, I've found that the fat does not "break down" as well the second time around. So now I always pull everything first, then freeze the leftovers, along with a little of the dripping to re-hydrate the pork.

BD

Just put the beef brisket on about 45 minutes ago using high heat method.
why is my lid thermometer 65 degrees lower than temp probe at Grill?
the other night I tested both my remote temp probes and the lid thermometer both were within two degrees of one another.

Don't overthink it. You put a big piece of meat on there that is cold or cool. Hot air rises. But when it rises it also takes the cool air,and evaporation off the brisket with it. I would go with the probe temp at the grill,and sit back and relax.

Don't overthink it. You put a big piece of meat on there that is cold or cool. Hot air rises. But when it rises it also takes the cool air,and evaporation off the brisket with it. I would go with the probe temp at the grill,and sit back and relax.

I screwed up $30 worth of yellowfin tuna yesterday just don't want that to happen with this piece of meat.
the variation might be cuz it's 50 degrees out here and cookers in the shade and the thermometer comes in contact the metal of the lid possibly transferring that cool from the external. Yeah you're right I'm overthinking it and it's a little too early to start on the beers.

Just put the beef brisket on about 45 minutes ago using high heat method.
why is my lid thermometer 65 degrees lower than temp probe at Grill?
the other night I tested both my remote temp probes and the lid thermometer both were within two degrees of one another.

Bob, that's a pretty common occurrence reading the Weber ( or any ) lid mounted therm IME.
As the cook progresses it should start to catch up with your other therm.
I like to temp at the top vent with either a turkey fryer therm or let a probe hang down.
The exhaust seems to temper the readings and that's usually 12-15 deg higher then grate temp.

Tim

Back