Thread: Pork Brisket: Hot & Fast or Low & Slow?

Pork Brisket: Hot & Fast or Low & Slow?

I bought a pork brisket today, a cute little thing weighing 1.25 lbs, a Duroc Berkshire crossbreed. Butcher says it's very tender and should be grilled, not cooked low & slow. Not sure I trust his opinion. Anyone ever cooked one?

TVWBB Diamond Member
    I've never seen one...if the butcher has been trustworthy, might try his suggestion.
    Peach Kissed Q

TVWBB Diamond Member Dustin Dorsey's Avatar
    It seems like I read a Daniel Vaughn Texas Monthly article about them. My thinking is low and slow.
    22.5 WSM, 22.5 OTS, Smokey Joe, Genesis 1000, Slow N Sear 2.0, Smokenator 1000, Old Country Pecos, Thermapen, Smoke, Maverick ET-732, Igrill 2

TVWBB Diamond Member Len Dennis's Avatar
    Not done here either but as it's part of the shoulder, l&s seems the way to go. Just another cutesy marketing term.

Pork brisket lol.
    So many recipes, so little time
    : Genesis gas grill 18.5" WSM Maverick ET-732 :

Not a marketing term, as cows, pigs, and lamb have similar musculature. Serious Eats describes it as "a substantial part of a boned-out picnic ham" and suggest roasting or braising it. Texas Monthly describes it as "made up of two sides just like a beef brisket, it’s just that the fattiness of either end is swapped. In the pork brisket, the 'lean' end is actually a portion of the belly and therefore quite fatty, while the 'fatty' end toward the chest is actually part of the pork picnic and is leaner". TM cooked theirs low & slow.

Then I came across a recipe from Steven Raichlen. He was discussion "secreto", the Italian name for this cut of meat, and he seasoned it and grilled it quickly. This technique matched what the butcher that sold me the meat told me...that just that morning, the staff had quickly grilled one behind the shop and it was tender.

So I grilled mine. I've posted it in the Photo Gallery.

TVWBB Diamond Member Len Dennis's Avatar
    Tks for the update
    So many recipes, so little time
    : Genesis gas grill 18.5" WSM Maverick ET-732 :

I've sometimes seen whole Spareribs labeled as including the brisket. I never knew what that meant, but I can see now how it all fits together.

Thanks, Chris ! ! !

BD