Radical WSM mods

Dave Wilson

Has anyone had any experience using a jigsaw etc. on a weber smoky mountain. It’s a long story, but basically I want to enlarge the door area. I need to square up the Access area

Has anyone had any experience using a jigsaw etc. on a weber smoky mountain. It’s a long story, but basically I want to enlarge the door area. I need to square up the Access area

Wow. Not here.

The best thing about WSM, relative to my previous smoker, is i just lift center section totally off to replace coals, or knock down ash, instead of trying to add 1 coal at time thru small door or poke with stick.

Also keeps ash from stirring off food.

Seen some large latchable doors for sale, but i dont see need when can remove shell.

Right tool is angle grinder with thin 1/8" thk metal cut off wheel. Cut it like buttah. If dont have one, harbor freight has one for $15. Fiberglass guys buy them as disposeable because fiberglass dust destroys your quality grinders.

Last edited:
It’s not a modification I think I would do but, I don’t think a jigsaw would be a good tool for cutting the relatively thin and flexible material either, the grinder is probably a better choice.
Dave, the whole idea of Chris hosting this site is to allow all of us to share any and all the hare brained or brilliant ideas we can come up with!
Before you start cutting share the “long story” and don’t worry about it. If your concept makes “broad sense” you may be the next innovator! If it’s something which others have tried and had success with they will back your plan if it’s been tried and had drastic failures, you’ll hear about that too.
Learn by sharing information here, maybe save yourself a headache. Maybe save someone else one too.

I almost never open the door, but if you feel the need, an angle grinder will get it done fast.

Timothy Lewis and Martin B: thanx so much and yes, I certainly understand your comments and they are very helpful. I’m on a competition barbecue team, last year, we started to experience some success. Within the structure of the team, I do ribs and chicken right now. I want to be able to work the chicken on the second rack without accessing that area of the smoker through the lid. The opening would have to accommodate the use of 2 x Half-Pans.

I know there are other options, including adding a third rack. However there is other complications: Additional modifications included making the unit as portable as possible and less labor intensive on site, and, the easy removal of the Firebox immediately after the turn in, so we can break camp by the time the awards ceremony, approximately 1 1/2 hours later.

So, my 22 inch Weber has a lid latch, also I have 4 x butterfly latches that secure the midsection to the bottom. I purchased a stainless steel, round, fire box, (designed for a drum smoker), which is easily removed and the hot coals transported to the charcoal pit at competitions. The unit also has 4” casters, and a drop handle. I can effortlessly roll the smoker around on blacktop, gravel or grass without any issues.

So, By widening that opening and adding a LavaLock quick latch door from BBQSmokermods, along with these other modifications, created a very efficient smoker especially considering the combination of ribs and chicken at competitions.

Generally, a lot of folks have said I should have bought a drum smoker. But there is two things, I am a dedicated Weberhead. (Last year at one particular comp., I had a great deal of satisfaction sitting up to next to an ******* who had an $8000 smoker and I came in 10th in ribs and he came and 12th. And, I didn’t want to buy a drum smoker, and I like the challenge of what I am trying to accomplish.

Hope that makes sense, perhaps there is other options before I start cutting away sheet metal.. But our first comp is in late April, and I plan to be able to easily use that second rack for chicken.

Last edited:
Dustin, how did you know about the lavalock door? I didn’t see any mention until post #7! Are you psychic?

Dave, thanks for the explanation, that’s not that long a story.
Good for you, show those barrel beaters what you can do, happy to hear you beat the guy!

I have not tried to cut one, but I do think if that is the direction, an angle grinder is likely best vs jig/sawzall.

May any also consider just looking for a used one on Craigslist. Here is an example of what appears to be an 18 older model that I believe had a square door and access. https://chicago.craigslist.org/nwc/for/d/mount-prospect-weber-smoker/6788458561.html

found one closer to you also, that is a 22. If nothing else, another one for the team. https://cincinnati.craigslist.org/app/d/cincinnati-weber-mountain-cooker-smoker/6783841757.html

Last edited:
Thanks guys, you’ve all been extremely helpful, I just want to emphasize that 90% of the people that I come across in the Kansas City BBQ Society are awesome people -it was just that one dude. Anyhoo, I truly believe that I could win with a Weber Smokey Mt. that’s why I asked this question; you’ve all been extraordinarily helpful - there is some very good ideas. Thanks again see you on the circuit

Late to the discussion, but just a bit more information.

From http://virtualweberbullet.com/history.html

"The large rectangular opening in the original 22.5" WSM middle cooking section proved to be problematic. During the fabrication process, when the opening was punched into a flat piece of steel and the ends brought together and welded to form a cylinder, the narrow area above the door opening tended to flatten out, resulting in a poorly shaped part. The solution was to change the top of the opening to an arch. This added more rigidity during the fabrication process and resulted in a better shaped part."

If you start removing material from that area, just be careful to not deform the "roundness" of the cylinder or you'll introduce a whole new set of issues.

If you can find a 2008-2009 22.5" WSM, it will already have a square door opening.

old-new-22-wsm-door-opening.jpg

Chris: That is exactly what I’m trying to accomplish, lotta consider, a lot to think about, I do have time to consider options. Again thank you so much to all that helped

Back