Noob Question re Beer Can Chicken

Sam S in SD

Hey, folks. I received by 22.5 WSM on Saturday and did my first smoke on Sunday. I decided to tackle the beer can chicken recipe on this sight. The chicken turned out great (most, cooked well), but the skin was a bit tough. I'm curious if this is typical or if I did something wrong. I only did Stage 1 of the seasoning process. I cooked using the Minion Method. The WSM ran a little hot, but the heat was consistently around 237-240. I probed the meat after 2 hours, and the breasts were already around 150 degrees. I sprayed with apple juice at that two-hour mark and dropped the heat to around 210-220 in order to avoid finishing the chicken too quickly. I ended up taking the chicken off around the 3-3:15 mark. Again, the internal temp was close to perfect (the thighs cooked slower than the breasts), but the skin was a bit tough. Any recommendations to avoid the tough skin in the future?

Sam, chicken is best cooked with higher heat. You are not going to get a good skin on a bird cooking it at 240.

I have tried baking powder with wings a couple of times and didn't see any benefit. That's just me though, I'd say give it a try, your results may differ ! ! !

One thing that I always do, at least with wings, is let the sit open, in the fridge, overnight to let the skin dry out.

BD

Back