My First Tri-Tip

J_E_F_F

TVWBB Member
Don't think I've ever had Tri-Tip before, not sure I'd ever heard of it before I joined TVWBB, and surely never cooked one, until today.

2.25# Tri-Tip
Tri_Tip_1.jpg

Seasoned with salt, pepper, brown sugar, paprika
Tri_Tip_2.jpg

Smoked to 110 degrees, then seared on my Q1200 for 4x1 minute. Was supposed to go back into the smoker to 130, but at the end of searing, it was already 135, so was done.
Tri_Tip_3.jpg

Tri_Tip_4.jpg

Tri_Tip_5.jpg

We like our steaks at 135, but the Tri-Tip was a little too rare for us at the same temp. We'll take the left overs a bit higher.

Served with an excellent creamy garlic parmesan broccoli & bacon dish my wife found and made. https://cafedelites.com/creamy-garlic-parmesan-broccoli-bacon/
Tri_Tip_6.jpg

Last edited:
Looks excellent! I'm like you, never heard of a Tri-Tip prior to joining here and had my first one last year. We've enjoyed several since. But my peeps won't eat beef at 135 and I won't tell you what I need to take it to, lol.

I had not tried a tri tip before being introduced here either, one of the best handshakes I’ve ever gotten! That looks pretty darned good especially for a first shot! They will do nothing but improve with each one!

That TT is spot on great job. Would your wife share the recipe for the side dish? It looks delicious.

I was going to second your request Barb but, I thought the link was there and it was! Looks pretty straightforward, I’ll be on that one this weekend, I think!

yeah, link to the broccoli side is in the original post, we made the side again and it was consistently very good.

Did the broccoli thing last night....BIG hit! I might try adding a couple raspings of nutmeg but, that is one of the easiest recipes I have done in years. The return on time investment is unbelievable!

That looks good.

I'm gonna have to do this cook, I've never done this either. I was looking over the tri tip at the grocery store this morning.

IIRC, it was about $7.50 pound, is that about right ?

Back