The Virtual Weber Bullet The Virtual Weber Bullet
TVWB Homepage TVWB Product Info TVWB Cooking Topics TVWB Operating Tips & Mods TVWB Videos TVWB Resources TVWB Shopping

Thread: Top grate on new 18.5 keeps falling in

TVWBB Member

Top grate on new 18.5 keeps falling in

Anyone else? There are 4 tabs supporting it and it seems like if you touch it at all, the grate moves off one of the tabs and your meal can fall into the fire. I don't remember this problem with my older WSM.

This is odd. Pics?

Are you possibly using the lower cooking grate on the top?
    Last edited by BFletcher; 01-06-2019 at 10:28 PM.

TVWBB Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BFletcher View Post
    Are you possibly using the lower cooking grate on the top?
    I thought it might've been that. I tried both of them and they both do the same thing. I'll provide pics ASAP.

That one has popped up a few times over the years. Seems to be either an out of round condition or slightly smaller grate.
    One easy fix was to use a few washers as shims between the bracket and body.

Tim
    Different smokes for different folks. Wish the Dollar Store sold gas!

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Orth View Post
    I thought it might've been that. I tried both of them and they both do the same thing. I'll provide pics ASAP.
    Sounds like you might have two bottom grates.
    Performer Deluxe(Copper) Genesis Gold B(Redhead) 18WSM 14WSM 26 OTG 22 OTG JJ Q1200 Gas & Charcoal Go Anywhere, Vortex, Kettle Pizza, Smoke

I've had that happen to me 3 times in ten years and it happened in the same night...Never before and never after... Still don't know why it happened to this day.

TVWBB Gold Member
    As was mentioned above, the two grates are a different size (for the life of me, I cannot come to a logical reason for that). At any rate, if you have the grates mixed up you CAN have a problem with the grate falling down.

I put handles on one of my grates and that helps to keep me from making that mistake.

Keep on smokin',
    Dale53
    Mini-Joe Gold, 14.5 WSM, 18.5 WSM, 2 Performers with Vortex, gasser (taking up space), SJS, JJ

TVWBB Fan
    The washer trick works fine, 1 or 2 washer behind the tab and your good to go.

New msm at store and i notice the top grate won't sit flat and easily falls. Remembering this post I take a look. Sure enough the grate is not flat and is bent a bit vee like. I take it out and straighten it. Surprisingly the grate bends easily. Now it sits flatter and steadier but can still move around too much and can fall in. The unit may have been put together in a hurry and/or made poorly. Either way the grate was flawedps. Yes, bent with the grain not across all the slats/bars. Would not think a heavy load would last very long