Burying wood chunks under Charcoal in WSM difference in smoke and flavor?

This is the method I use both in my WSM and indirect on the kettle. Bury 4-6 chunks in the charcoal. I usually add them first then dump the unlit charcoal on top. I started doing this after attending Harry Soo’s class a few years ago. Before I was adding after my coals were already going. Honestly I think you get a better more consistent smoke flavor by burning them and letting the heat ignite the wood slowly. I haven’t had any real “bitter” smoke flavor since going this route and seem to get to the thin blue smoke sooner.

Since I haven't watched the video, how deep do you bury? Or how long has the food cooked before the wood is influencing it?

I partially fill the ring with charcoal, put wood chunks around the perimeter, finish filling. Then I take 10-15 coals out of the center, light and pour them back in. I don't think there's much difference if you fill completely before adding the chunks as long as they are on the perimeter and not added directly to burning coals.

If I put wood around the perimeter, they'd never catch.

I dump the coals evenly spread over the top. Close it up. Once it gets to within 20o of target, the meat goes in and lid replaced. The wood (3 chunks) get placed through the side door. Whether they're on the lit or unlit, I don't care. They will catch soon enough.

Nicely done Chris, I have used all those methods over the last few years, I find I really like the “commingled” method you offer last, I have found it requires less close attention than the other.
I also use the “sidewinder” minion method with that mixed media approach; mix the smoke wood with charcoal, and I light the side near the door and let it ride.

I have a question for all you experts, I heard that once the meat reaches 140 degrees internally the piece of meat stops absorbing smoke. So what I have been doing is putting wet shivers of wood, since it is hard to buy chunks of wood, on top of the minion coals that are lit and after they are spread out on the other coals. What is a better way and is using dry 3 in square blocks of wood better. Always looking for better ways of smoking meat.

It can keep adsorbing smoke as long as you add it. 140 is when technically the smoke ring stops. Dry wood chunks compared to wet wood slivers is what you want for long smokes like brisket,butts etc.
I use 2 wood chunks (2"x2"x3") split in halves or quarters, lay that on the unlit then spread the lit over.
Works for me.:wsm:

Tim

Last edited:
I nestle the wood chunks in the unlit and then, just as Chris discussed, I add the lit on top. This has worked well for me by YMMV.
Mike

Harry has showed different placement and amount of wood over years. So do other interweb people.

I cooked some chicken once....that came out way too smoky. My son said he smelled like smoke after eating it..... Every now and then you got to step off the edge of cliff to know where it is. I done that with salt in rub too....

When it comes to some things, less is more. Smoke is one of those things imo. Just like Harry says. Clean hot coals, trace of smoke. Avoid the acrid white smoke at all costs, especially when outside of meat is wet. And dont let smoke overpower meat

Last edited:
I've done both. If I'm doing a really long brisket cook I might do both at the same time. A few chunks buried and few chunks on top. I agree with Martin that Harry has shown different placements over the years. The buried chunks just happens to be what he's doing now along with Hot and Fast.

Timothy is right. The meat can accept smoke flavor during the entire cook. Which is the reason why BBQ can be over-smoked.

He is right to state that this doesn't apply to the smoke ring. If you believe Greg Blonder, then you can develop the smoke ring until the meat reaches 170F (140F according to others). If you believe myoglobin is responsible for the smoke ring, then you have to ask at what temperature does the tertiary structure of myoglobin thermally denature. And the answer is between 86 and 158 F internally in the meat. What that means to me is that the meat can accept gases that create the smoke ring, but as it cooks, it loses it ability to do so. That ability ends somewhere between 140 and 170 internally....I guess.

Oh, and I add my wood chunks to the bottom against the grate. Make smoke ring first. Add smoke flavor later, if at all necessary.

Donna,
If the temperature of the smoke ring stops at 140 or 170 and you are measuring temperature in the center of the meat, surely the temperature at the surface where the smoke ring is forming, must be higher? So that early period has to be pretty crucial regardless of the temp it stops.

Donna,
If the temperature of the smoke ring stops at 140 or 170 and you are measuring temperature in the center of the meat, surely the temperature at the surface where the smoke ring is forming, must be higher? So that early period has to be pretty crucial regardless of the temp it stops.

Oh absolutely Dustin. That is very clever of you to pick up on that. It does matter a whole lot. As such, it is important to get the carbon monoxide and nitric oxide gases going from the beginning. Kingsford happens to produce a lot of it so that kinda explains why Harry always get these crazy looking smoke rings in his classes. Just keep in mind you might be compromising your smoke ring should you use lump or pellets.

I have been throwing the wood on top of the fire all along. Last weekend I put a few chunks on first against the grate because of this thread. I think you get more smoke flavor buried,and I will probably do it that way from now on. I used about the same amount of wood i usually do,but the smoke taste was stronger than usual.
Throwing it on top,it probably gets more air and burns. Where with it buried it probably smolders putting out more smoke. I bet burying it will give you more consistent results as long as the wood chunks actually get burnt. ( I use a temp controller,so the fuel by the fan burns first. It isn't unusual for me to have a lot of unburnt fuel)(the side opposite the fan). I know it was just one try,but i am certain I could tell the difference.

For what its worth Ill add my 2 cents. I usually bury a couple chunks and recently have been adding a couple small chunks to the charcoal chimney. Using the Minion method and having wood chunks fully burning and producing good clean smoke right from the go has been great for me. Give it a shot next time.

Today, I'm doing my first brisket and I am using the minion method and burying my chunks. I used 3 pecan and 2 hickory laid right on the bottom grate, then added charcoal over it and removed the center pieces out to the edges. However, I did make sure to expose the chunks so my hot coals would hit them immediately and give me some instant smoke.

Put about 30 more in a chimney, lit it, and dumped it on top.

We will see how it comes out.

Sounds good to me, I’ve now developed another taste for a brisket! So today, I am wanting chicken, brisket, pulled pork, lamb, burgers, sausages, meatloaf, veal....
Sorry, I just get really hungry reading what you all are doing!
I think a spatchcock bird will be the order of the day, tomorrow will be a burrito bar using up some machaca, and shredded chicken from the freezer! Low impact for family dinner this week!
Some bacon tots and bacon wrapped green olives might be good starters too! Doggone it, I’m always thinking about food!

Back