Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Brisket Newb - Teach Me Brisket 101

TVWBB Platinum Member Timothy F. Lewis's Avatar
    Try a skewer, if you’re still getting a lot of resistance, change to beer or a scotch and wait an hour.
    Distinguebant Sed, Ignoret In Particulari!
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease too big a skillet!" J. D. Clampett

There’s still resistance and it’s still only at 178°... I’ve moved on to vodka and tea, and watching football. Cheers!

Vodka and tea? Hmmm. It’s 7:15 here, how has the stall been kicking your brisket? Done yet?
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease too big a skillet!" J. D. Clampett

Well, the first one is the most frustrating and, if you had the wind like you did that will make it just that much more frustrating! Fifteen hours final?
    Not as frustrated as the Bears but, at least you will feel like eating.
    Wind is always the biggest challenge, I’m going to do a butt next week and will need to fish out my windbreak from the back of the garage but, I do know where it is so, that’s a plus.
    I’m thinking a brisket for Super Bowl Sunday but, I really don’t give a hoot about the game.
    Next one will go more smoothly!
    Last edited by Timothy F. Lewis; 01-07-2019 at 06:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Timothy F. Lewis View Post
    Vodka and tea? Hmmm. It’s 7:15 here, how has the stall been kicking your brisket? Done yet?
    Actually vodka, water, and Sweet Tea Mio. Lower calories, and does the trick - don't ask.

Well, I could never get it up to 200° as the thermometer pic indicates, and I ended up pulling it at 6:00pm (18 hrs on the smoker - ???!!!). I then separated the point from the flat and wrapped the flat three times in foil, and twice w/ 2 bath towels, and put it in the microwave for an hour and 40 minutes. I sliced up the point into burnt ends, put them in a casserole dish tossed w/ some rub and sauce, and put them in the oven a bit to caramelize. They turned out okay - some better than others. The flat however, turned out good I might say for my first time, and was probably some of the better home cooked brisket I've ever had. Slicing it was a bit challenging given the bark/crust on the outside, and since I didn't have a slicing knife, but I managed w/ a chef's knife and my bread knife.

A few pics from when it was done (didn't get any of the burnt ends ):

Things I'll consider next time:

• Type a quick note to God and have him keep the wind away (messed my temp regulating ALL UP)
    • Probe the flat once and leave it there for the whole smoke
    • Remember the grate temp and the WSM temp differ by nearly 25° and to use the two in conjunction w/ each other knowing this
    • Start the coals and get the brisket on the smoker at least two hours sooner (10pm rather than 12am)
    • Since starting the brisket two hours sooner, this should allow me to put the point back on the smoker for burnt ends
    • Get a proper slicing knife (similar to this?)

Like I said, I'm happy w/ the end result, and I'm very excited to do another one. For those of you that haven't done one yet because you're afraid you'll mess it up and advice I will heed my next time: is wait for a non-windy day, and don't be afraid you'll mess it up. Remember when bbq brisket was first discovered - they threw it on a pit and left it - the - F - alone, all - day/night. Babying it won't matter.

Quote Originally Posted by M Craw View Post
    Get a proper slicing knife (similar to this?)
    This is my preferred brisket slicing knife, it's the one Aaron Franklin uses at his famous restaurant in Austin, TX. And about half the price of the Victorinox.

Dexter 13463 12-Inch Silver Sani-Safe Scalloped Roast Slicer Knife

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Allingham View Post
    This is my preferred brisket slicing knife, it's the one Aaron Franklin uses at his famous restaurant in Austin, TX. And about half the price of the Victorinox.

Thanks for the suggestion!

So is their boning knife equally as good then?

Quote Originally Posted by M Craw View Post
    So is their boning knife equally as good then?
    I don't have experience with their boning knife. I use this one and like it a lot:

Victorinox 6 Inch Curved Fibrox Pro Boning Knife with Flexible Blade

I think your take away from the project is pretty solid. I tend to start a 12 lb. brisket about ten too, I’ve had them reach desired temperatures around four in the afternoon, (sometimes early) then double foil and double towel then into a cooler, that seems to allow the bark to slightly soften allowing easier slicing
    I agree with Chris’ suggestions on knives, I had one like you showed in your trimming picture decades ago, left it with an old girlfriend when we parted company, it was a really nice tool.
    I use a piece of 3/4” plywood as a windbreak wedged against my brick “outdoor kitchen counter” holding it in place with patio blocks, still waiting for the right deal on some of the parts for the design I have in mind. Should take less than an hour to assemble when I have the parts unless I change something.

TVWBB Super Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Allingham View Post

This is the one I use too and it works great. I also have the Dexter boning knife and it works great as well.
    (2) Red 22 1/2" OTS's, 18 1/2" OTS, SJS, 1995 Red SS Performer, 2002 Black Genesis Silver A, 1999 Red Genesis 1000, 2007 18.5" WSM

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12