BBQ Guru

JoeE

I have bene having a terrible time keeping temps regulated in the WSM 18 for a while now. On a nice 70deg day with no wind I can keep it almost perfect at 235 but the second it gets too hot or cold or there is a breeze they go out of control. I have the unknown BBQ hinge and gasket kit installed on the dome and front door. I read about the BBQ Guru controls and was wondering if anyone here is using them with good luck or not. Just looking for your real world use/opinions.

I have one on my 18.5 WSM and it works great.

I use the offset most of the time and just don't use the WSM much any more.

I would consider selling mine. It's just a few months old and has been kept indoors when not being used.

PM me if interested.

I have bene having a terrible time keeping temps regulated in the WSM 18 for a while now. On a nice 70deg day with no wind I can keep it almost perfect at 235 but the second it gets too hot or cold or there is a breeze they go out of control. I have the unknown BBQ hinge and gasket kit installed on the dome and front door. I read about the BBQ Guru controls and was wondering if anyone here is using them with good luck or not. Just looking for your real world use/opinions.

Explain more if you would. What are you cooking (amount), duration, setup (minion?) vent positions, etc.
At least for me, I have never found an easier smoker to control than the 18 stock. No Guru needed.

I kind of agree with Dave. I bought a temp controller (not the Guru) for mine,and I use it every time. But that said,before i had my controller I wasn't really having any problems controlling temps. My main "rocky spell" was the first hour or maybe two. Once it settled in it stayed pretty steady. But I did still always keep a pretty close eye on it.
It sounds like something isn't right with yours. Like maybe your gasket is leaking,or somehow too much air is getting in. Or maybe you aren't giving it enough time after you adjust the vents. Changes happen slowly,as long as you move the vents small increments.
BUT,I really like my controller. I just set the knob. Add a few glowing coals,and soon the temp matches the dial,and stays close enough for me.
I don't have to watch it,or get nervous about temps. I think I will always have one. I kinda like the set it and forget it mentality. :cool:

I have a 18.5' WSM and I've smoked from -10F to about 80F and have been able to hold roughly 230 for long periods of time. the only thing I can say is use the minion method, stay consistent with what you like (water in the pan or not), and make very small adjustments to the bottom vents.

leave the top vent wide open all the time, start with the bottom vents about 1/4 the way open. When you make adjustments only go another 1/4 turn and away from any wind if there is any. making major adjustments can affect temp swings..........my wsm doesn't seal up that good and I don't have a gasket kit. in fact mine blew off the deck and has a slight oval shape to it......still works fine......just try to be as consistent as possible with your set up(charcoal, method, amount of charcoal, etc.)
I've learned a ton from this site, and knew nothing a few years ago. the first few times I even made notes from my cooks.........

keep us posted on progress.........

chris

- - - Updated - - -

I also have a little "V" shaped wind break I use to protect the smoker from wind..............I'd guess that is part of the problem

Back