Vintage Performer or new style performer?

Stefan H

TVWBB Guru
I have got a cheap new style performer a few months ago. The one with the grey plastic table top. Very similar to that one:
http://www.aquaquip.com/images/bbqs...rcol-grill-performer-22-glamour2-1000x833.jpg
I like the simplicity and that the charcoal bin can be accessed without cleaning stuff from the table.

But I also like the old style Performer. The one with he stainless table.
http://weberkettleclub.com/wp-conte...ormer-Charcoal-Grill-Blue-300x300-300x300.jpg
I just like the old design much more but I am not sure about the access to the charcoal bin which requires the table to be lifted. Not as practical when you have stuff on the table.
Which one do you guys prefer? Also the old one had this 5lb propane tank. Can they be refilled or exchanged?

I have the stainless one and I love it. It does have the 5lb propane tank which is refillable. I have not seen them for exchange.

I dont use use the charcoal bin for storing charcoal anymore, so it really isnt an issue. I do use it to hold the brushes/scrapers for the grates and

Are they actually the same height? I moved to a Performer because the regular kettle was too low for me. Being 6'4" and having back problems I prefer higher working surfaces.
I know with the gas grills there is about a 2.5" height difference between the old Genesis open cart models and the Genesis closed cart models. The closed ones are higher and way more convenient for me. That is why I wonder if the old performer have the same height as the new ones.

Also the old one had this 5lb propane tank. Can they be refilled or exchanged?

They can be refilled. However, like all propane tanks, they have an expiration date,
and have to be recertified after a number of years. This requires taking the tank to
an authorized refiller, and paying about $20 or so, plus the refill cost.

They can be refilled. However, like all propane tanks, they have an expiration date,
and have to be recertified after a number of years. This requires taking the tank to
an authorized refiller, and paying about $20 or so, plus the refill cost.

Wow $20 for a recert, here they charge 8.00, only takes about 3 minutes to do it.

I got lucky bought a used one a year ago with the plastic table which was cracked got it replaced with the new metal table at no charge from Weber. The metal table is really nice, funny thing is I never use that Charcoal bin for Charcoal it was melted where it mounts still usable I store my charcoal inside but I have a finished basement with a shop.

I just use the small tanks 2 for about 6 bucks at Walmart still on the first tank. I use the gas assist with my Charcoal Chimney to light the coals so you don't need a whole lot of gas to get it started.

I picked up some larger wheels and raised the table height about four inches when I built the cypress replacement table, that has improved my back comfort immeasurably, I understand your back issue completely Stefan!

Yes there are disadvantages of being tall. Plus I have two herniated disks. Working bent over for some period of time is a painful for me. This was the main reason I went from a regular kettle to the Performer. Mine does not even have the gas starter. I always use a chimney starter. And I love the side table. One can never have enough working space. The height is also the reason I prefer the closed cart models of the older Genesis gas grills over the open cart models because they are about 2.5" higher.

Wish I could find a place recert.cheap. I have two performers with tanks that I am looking to flip,
but its not worth the expense.

I really like the stainless Performers “SSP”. They are built like tanks and LOOK like classic Weber’s. In fact that have a little bit of commonality with the Genesis 1000. The downside to me is their size and weight. Also if you need a cover you are going to pay a lot because they are long since discontinued. I know that most people love one of these with a blue or maybe red kettle, but I think the basic black contrasts extra well with the stainless and ties together with the black frame.

The five gallon LP tank is really the ideal solution for this use, much better than the dinky Coleman-type cylinders. Once again, though, you will really have to pay to get a new, up to date tank. You can get at least two 20 gallon LP tanks for the same price as one of those.

I really like the stainless Performers “SSP”. They are built like tanks and LOOK like classic Weber’s. In fact that have a little bit of commonality with the Genesis 1000. The downside to me is their size and weight. Also if you need a cover you are going to pay a lot because they are long since discontinued. I know that most people love one of these with a blue or maybe red kettle, but I think the basic black contrasts extra well with the stainless and ties together with the black frame.

I hear ya Jon. I really the old style black frame design. But I also like the height of the newer models. And yes I love the colors. In my area I almost only see black lids for gas and charcoal grills. And SS lids for gas grills. I find it kind of boring. Therefore whenever a colored grill shows up I am hooked. Maybe I should get that SS red head performer and swap the kettle with my plastic black head performer. Lol

Stefan

Check this out, a 2" lift kit for the SS Performer. I copied another poster on here and really enjoy the look and height difference. I like the older SS Performers as they are built like a tank.
I bought a few of the newer gas assist performers and didn't care for all the plastic...so back on CL they went.

dHL3FKB.jpg
[/IMG]

Back