Help with LED Lighting when “Pit Temp Reached”

Peter DesRoches

Help with LED NOT Lighting when “Pit Temp Reached”

I’m able to get the LEDs to light on most of the triggers (e.g. Output > 0%) but I’m unable to get an LED to light when I set it to trigger with “Pit Temp Reached”. To test I set the “Set Temp” to 80 and warm up the probe. When it hits 80 and above, the LED does not light. I already verified that the LED does work (with other triggers). Any advice?

Last edited:
I just checked it on one of mine with the same setup and it worked as expected. It can only be in Startup, Recovery, or Temp Reached so if it is in one of the others, it won't light the LED. You might want to set your other LEDs to the other states temporarily to see if it is in a different state. I also tried it with Temp Reached set to all three LEDs and it worked as well.

I just checked it on one of mine with the same setup and it worked as expected. It can only be in Startup, Recovery, or Temp Reached so if it is in one of the others, it won't light the LED. You might want to set your other LEDs to the other states temporarily to see if it is in a different state. I also tried it with Temp Reached set to all three LEDs and it worked as well.

Thanks Bryan, that hint helps. The LED for "Pit Statup Mode" does light so based on what you said, that's why the Temp Reached LED doesn't light. Even though the Pit temperature is reached (i.e. pit probe => Set temperature), it doesn't seem to leave the "Startup" mode. I guess I need to know what makes the mode change? It doesn't appear to leave the startup mode. This is just a minor issue but it would be nice to glance over to see when the smoker is good to go. I love this thing!

Hrm it should switch to TEMP REACHED as soon as the pit temperature goes over the setpoint, as long as it isn't in lid mode. Is your lid open duration set to 30 seconds by some chance? If so try it set to 31 seconds or more because I think there might be a bug in the code.

You might want to try the latest AVR Firmware to see if it fixes your issue. In the webui:
-- Go to LinkMeter -> AVR Firmware
-- Select "Online Repository"
-- Click the FLASH button by the latest heatermeter.hex Tue Jan 08 2019 15:37:37 GMT-0500 (Eastern Standard Time) or newer

You might want to try the latest AVR Firmware to see if it fixes your issue. In the webui:
-- Go to LinkMeter -> AVR Firmware
-- Select "Online Repository"
-- Click the FLASH button by the latest heatermeter.hex Tue Jan 08 2019 15:37:37 GMT-0500 (Eastern Standard Time) or newer

Thanks Bryan! In fact I think my lid mode IS set to 30 seconds. I'll change it to 31 seconds and also do firmware upgrade and let you know what I find. Thanks again for everything!

Awesome, thanks for reporting this. I stared at that code for like 15 minutes solid trying to figure out why I specifically excluded a 30 second timeout from working and finally came to the conclusion that I was just a ding dong when I wrote it. I tested the new code with 30 seconds and the default 240 seconds and both function properly in both scenarios (temperature above and below setpoint when the minimum timeout is reached) and they all seem to work. You should be good to use 30 seconds if using the newer AVR code (Version 20190109B listed on the config webui page).

Thanks Bryan! Everything works like a champ Lid setting to 31 seconds. I'll update the firmware as you suggested and let you know if I have any issues. Thanks again for all your help and this project!

Back