Microdamper Settings for Large Big Green Egg?

David Dismuke

Greetings all. I have a Heatermeter with Microdamper that I have been using on my WSM 14.5. I run it at stock PID settings with great results.

To my surprise my wife bought me a large Big Green Egg for Christmas and I want to try it out for smoking. The PID tuning page has some proposed PID settings for the LBGE but I think those are for the stock blower rather than the fan on the Microdamper. So, I was wondering if anyone who runs a Microdamper on a LBGE can provide me with a good PID starting point and any other tips that they might recommend. I understand that Kamados retain heat a lot better than the WSMs so I am a little concerned about overshooting my temperature and not being able to get it back down where I want it. I would also appreciate any thoughts about how to run the exhaust vents. In my WSM I keep them wide open but not sure how this will work on a LBGE. Any thoughts or tips you can provide would be appreciated!

Thanks

David

I use a version of the microdamper on my Large Big Green Egg with almost default settings.
PID P = 4 (default)
PID I = 0.02 (default)
PID D = 7 (default is 5)
I have my "Fan on above" set to 50% and the servo "Fully open at" set to 50% so the damper opens completely then the blower turns on after that. Max fan speeds are 100% (default). I close the top vent to the point that after 1hr of cook time, the output should not be bouncing off 0%. You know you've got it pretty much perfect if the controller stays in the 25-45% output range, which would be no fan, just the damper. Here's a ribs at 240F cook.

Last edited:
Thanks Bryan. I will give those settings a try and see how it works. I have never tinkered with the "fan on above" and "fully open at" settings but I can see how adjusting those would be beneficial to avoid overshooting the temperature on a Kamado style grill.

Back