Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Best Method/Recipe for Baby Back Ribs

Hmmm. Another thing to try. Thanks to this thread.

TVWBB Super Fan
    Im in similar situation, wanting to try my first ribs. Ive eaten a lot of ribs, never cooked them.

I understand basically cook until bark sets and doesnt scratch off with fingernail, Then wrap and cook till tender via toothpick with meat retracted from bone ends. The times are rough guides, but your looking for those cues.

Best is subjective, but i know what i like. I like to pull a clean bone out of my mouth..with a spicy sauce.
    Last edited by MartinB; 01-02-2019 at 07:22 PM.

TVWBB Gold Member
    Early in my Smokin' "career" I discovered Harry Soo (thanks to this forum). I followed Harry's directions and have been MORE than pleased for many years:

https://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?210...m-of-Harry-Soo

I and my guests and family prefer ribs cooked a bit more tender than "Competition Ribs", so I just let them cook a bit longer to my preference of "tender". I have two smokers, a Weber 14.5" and a Weber 18.5". I use rib racks on both. I cut the rib racks in half and use the racks. Otherwise, I pretty much follow Harry's directions.

We nearly always do more ribs than needed, vacuum pack the left overs, then reheat the ribs for other meals. We save the defatted juices and use them when reheating.

Just recently, I got a new Instant Pot Ultra pressure cooker and during bad weather, I'll be doing my ribs in that. I am NOT planning on abandoning my Smokers and Grills, you understand, but will be inside doing ribs when it's 20 degrees outside.

Keep on smokin',
    Dale53
    Mini-Joe Gold, 14.5 WSM, 18.5 WSM, 2 Performers with Vortex, gasser (taking up space), SJS, JJ

Does everybody agree that 2-2.5 lb racks turn out the best? I feel like I have read that a couple places and on all the recipes here. I was trying to buy some today, and many of the racks were 4-5 lbs and seemed too large.
    Last edited by Barry Dalton; 01-04-2019 at 11:37 AM.

TVWBB Super Fan Steven P (Tupelo)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry Dalton View Post
    Does everybody agree that 2-2.5 lb racks turn out the best? I feel like I have read that a couple places and on all the recipes here. I was trying to buy some today, and many of the racks were 4-5 lbs and seemed too large.
    I like them to be 3-3.5 lbs. Nice and meaty. Plus, down around 2.5 lbs, I have run into shiners that couldn't been seen in the cryovac.
    18.5" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" WSM, 26" Premium Kettle

I do baby backs on my Kettle, more often than not. I smoke two racks, I try to get one rack around 3.5 # and a smaller rack at 2.5 # . They fit on the 22" grill better that way, cause I pile the coals to one side .

I haven't noticed any diff in flavor of ribs and weight of the rack.

TVWBB Diamond Member Len Dennis's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry Dalton View Post
    Under 2 lb (2-2.5) are generally what's called "baby back" ribs. Over 2..5 and they're "loin back" ribs. Either are suitable for our purposes. They're both pig ribs.
    So many recipes, so little time
    : Genesis gas grill 18.5" WSM Maverick ET-732 :

TVWBB Super Fan
    Did 3 racks today. All 3.3 lbs .
    Kinda big for 18 wsm, but i used weber rack, curved them a little, and did all on top grate. Tight squeeze.

Basically followed harry soos instructions. Cook 2.5 hrs, at 275, foiled, cooked another hr., Applied sauce and let set in foil. Came out great....good bark, and fall apart tender.

I also did 3x racks of spare ribs last night, and a few beef short ribs (for DW.) I cut the racks in half, for easier handling and for better fit on the WSM18. Is that sacrilegious? They also neatly fit in the vacuum seal bags, the right size for a single portion.

It was cold and windy and sleeting, was happy how the bullet kept consistent temp. 3 hours of smoking at 250, then 2 more foiled, bones pulled out easy.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12