Best Method/Recipe for Baby Back Ribs

Barry Dalton

Best Baby Back Rib Recipe

Just got my WSMS (22.5”) for Christmas and I am looking for recommendations on the process of doing fall-off-the-bone baby back ribs. My first pork shoulder was successful, and I was wanting to try ribs next.

Need help with overall process. Temp? Standard or Minion method? Time? Wrapping? Etc. I read about the 2 1 1 method of 2 hours unwrapped, 1 hour wrapped, and 1 hour unwrapped.

Thanks for any help/guidance.

Last edited:
Just got my WSMS (22.5”) for Christmas and I am looking for recommendations on the process of doing "fall-off-the-bone" baby back ribs. My first pork shoulder was successful, and I was wanting to try ribs next.

Need help with overall process. Temp? Standard or Minion method? Time? Wrapping? Etc. I read about the 2 1 1 method of 2 hours unwrapped, 1 hour wrapped, and 1 hour unwrapped.

Thanks for any help/guidance.

I am doing the same this upcoming weekend.

In reading here: http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/best-ribs-in-the-universe-by-mike-scrutchfield.html I am going to use a lot of what Chris talks about there. I will be using minion to start, 3-2(wrap)-1 to cook. I am shooting for 225 to start, but then 250-275 to finish. Since my 18" is newer (the 22.5 is huge by the way), you will need to make sure you have a decent amount of fuel on hand, especially since the smoker is new and you'll be fiddling with temps. Coupled with an unseasoned smoker, you'll be bouncing heat all around. Nothing wrong with that, just take that into account when going at it. I allotted 90 minutes to adjust my temp before any meat went on, just so I can continue to get used to controlling my temps. If I use more fuel now, that's fine - rather waste $3 in charcoal and dial it in right than end up with a crappy product in the end. Best of luck!

Yea, 22 definitely eats up fuel so I figured that out on the pork butt. Used around 18lbs of Stubbs and made it about 10.5 hours. Pork butt gave me a pretty good seasoning so I am hoping my temp will stay pretty steady.

Do you do 225 for the fist 3 hours then go to 250-275 for the 2 (wrapped) and 1? Do you put the butter/brown sugar/honey in the foil?

Yea, 22 definitely eats up fuel so I figured that out on the pork butt. Used around 18lbs of Stubbs and made it about 10.5 hours. Pork butt gave me a pretty good seasoning so I am hoping my temp will stay pretty steady.

Do you do 225 for the fist 3 hours then go to 250-275 for the 2 (wrapped) and 1? Do you put the butter/brown sugar/honey in the foil?

I rub the ribs night before. Start the smoker around 11am, I do 225 for the first 3 hours unwrapped, after 3 hours turn over, wrap in foil as they are, check on them in about 90 minutes. Then unwrap, up temps to about 250/275 and then check every 15 mins or so.

I just did 3 racks last Sunday on the big boy WSM for football.
Full ring of Ro lump, minion method, 1/2 of chimney of lit spread over 3 chunks of wild cherry.
Empty foiled pan, vents were wide open cause it was cold and windy outside ( I set up out of the wind)
I never monitored the temps, just let it go and that took about 4 hrs to pass the bend test, bone side down the whole cook and no foil.
HTH and welcome to the forum:wsm:

Tim

Spares go 3 2 1. BB are 2 2 1. I never wrap. Rub goes on then in the WSM. 4.5 to 5 hr later they're done. Use BRITU ( search here) and you'll be eating some mighty fine ribs.

Temps can range 225 to 275 with no issues.

Im in similar situation, wanting to try my first ribs. Ive eaten a lot of ribs, never cooked them.

I understand basically cook until bark sets and doesnt scratch off with fingernail, Then wrap and cook till tender via toothpick with meat retracted from bone ends. The times are rough guides, but your looking for those cues.

Best is subjective, but i know what i like. I like to pull a clean bone out of my mouth..with a spicy sauce.

Last edited:
Early in my Smokin' "career" I discovered Harry Soo (thanks to this forum). I followed Harry's directions and have been MORE than pleased for many years:

https://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?21030-PDF-The-BBQ-Wisdom-of-Harry-Soo

I and my guests and family prefer ribs cooked a bit more tender than "Competition Ribs", so I just let them cook a bit longer to my preference of "tender". I have two smokers, a Weber 14.5" and a Weber 18.5". I use rib racks on both. I cut the rib racks in half and use the racks. Otherwise, I pretty much follow Harry's directions.

We nearly always do more ribs than needed, vacuum pack the left overs, then reheat the ribs for other meals. We save the defatted juices and use them when reheating.

Just recently, I got a new Instant Pot Ultra pressure cooker and during bad weather, I'll be doing my ribs in that. I am NOT planning on abandoning my Smokers and Grills, you understand, but will be inside doing ribs when it's 20 degrees outside:eek:.

Keep on smokin',
Dale53:wsm:

Does everybody agree that 2-2.5 lb racks turn out the best? I feel like I have read that a couple places and on all the recipes here. I was trying to buy some today, and many of the racks were 4-5 lbs and seemed too large.

Last edited:
Does everybody agree that 2-2.5 lb racks turn out the best? I feel like I have read that a couple places and on all the recipes here. I was trying to buy some today, and many of the racks were 4-5 lbs and seemed too large.

I like them to be 3-3.5 lbs. Nice and meaty. Plus, down around 2.5 lbs, I have run into shiners that couldn't been seen in the cryovac.

I do baby backs on my Kettle, more often than not. I smoke two racks, I try to get one rack around 3.5 # and a smaller rack at 2.5 # . They fit on the 22" grill better that way, cause I pile the coals to one side .

I haven't noticed any diff in flavor of ribs and weight of the rack.

Under 2 lb (2-2.5) are generally what's called "baby back" ribs. Over 2..5 and they're "loin back" ribs. Either are suitable for our purposes. They're both pig ribs.

Did 3 racks today. All 3.3 lbs .
Kinda big for 18 wsm, but i used weber rack, curved them a little, and did all on top grate. Tight squeeze.

Basically followed harry soos instructions. Cook 2.5 hrs, at 275, foiled, cooked another hr., Applied sauce and let set in foil. Came out great....good bark, and fall apart tender.

I also did 3x racks of spare ribs last night, and a few beef short ribs (for DW.) I cut the racks in half, for easier handling and for better fit on the WSM18. Is that sacrilegious? They also neatly fit in the vacuum seal bags, the right size for a single portion.

It was cold and windy and sleeting, was happy how the bullet kept consistent temp. 3 hours of smoking at 250, then 2 more foiled, bones pulled out easy.

Back