Got wood .... apple wood

Lynn Dollar

TVWBB Emerald Member
My brother had three four year old apple trees in his back yard that were not meeting his expectations. So he cut'em down and I got some smoke wood. I figure another four months and it will be ready. I made splits from the trunks for the stick burner and a box of chunks for the WSM and Kettle.

That's probably not enough splits for more than two smokes on the offset, but that's enough chunks to last years.

keFWsM6.jpg

x0vrfRI.jpg

TOlP5io.jpg

Nice!
I see you've already put some in an Amazon box, ready to ship to me! ��

Not sure you'd wanna pay the shipping :)

That box is heavy, was worried it would not hold up under the weight. Once I got it on the patio, I slide it around and don't push my luck picking it up.

I'm pretty anxious to see how the chunks burn, they should season quicker than the splits.

Nice score for sure. Been wanting to try apple wood, I know a tree or two in the neighborhood whose owner wouldn't mind if I trim it a bit ;-)

Which brings me to a question; for smoking (chunks, vs burning splits) how do most people feel about the bark, on or off? Thanks.

That's some clean looking wood, no mold or fungus!
You might want to try a few chunks out while it's still green.
I never tried it but BryanS on the old forum use to swear by it.
Just something to kick around if you have the time.

Tim

That's some clean looking wood, no mold or fungus!
You might want to try a few chunks out while it's still green.
I never tried it but BryanS on the old forum use to swear by it.
Just something to kick around if you have the time.

Tim

I've planned on doing that with the chunks. I've got a moisture meter. Right now, most of it is around 28% , which it would probably burn just fine

Nice score for sure. Been wanting to try apple wood, I know a tree or two in the neighborhood whose owner wouldn't mind if I trim it a bit ;-)

Which brings me to a question; for smoking (chunks, vs burning splits) how do most people feel about the bark, on or off? Thanks.

Like a lot of things in barbecue, I've seen some say it doesn't matter and others strip the bark. Like Harry Soo says, it would probably be a " three hour arguement " , either way.

With chunks though, I like to knock the bark off. It doesn't take that long and its easy to do. But I won't bother with splits in the stick burner.

I have a Honeycrisp apple tree going on 10 years with zero apples. Something gets them before I do. It will come down this spring, and hopefully be good smokewood.

I have a Honeycrisp apple tree going on 10 years with zero apples. Something gets them before I do. It will come down this spring, and hopefully be good smokewood.

That was my brother's problem, he said bird's got first shot at the apples.

Nice score on the wood. I'm so bummed, the cherry orchard I get my cherry staves from has been knocked down and is now a vineyard.

You are a lucky man. It reminds me of when my inlays had their apple tree go down. I had a supply of wood that kept me and several friends supplied for quite some time.

Nice score on the wood. I'm so bummed, the cherry orchard I get my cherry staves from has been knocked down and is now a vineyard.

The down side is no cherry wood. But the upside could be grape vine in the future. I had a grape vine taking over an oak in our front yard so I cut it down. The mature wood was excellent on beef!

Back