Mom G's Corn Pudding

Chris Allingham

Administrator
Staff member
My mother-in-law's (slightly modified) corn pudding recipe...probably from the Betty Crocker cookbook, if I had to guess.

This is a double-recipe; you can cut everything in half for a smaller batch.

Ingredients

• 4 cups frozen petite white corn, thawed (use fresh corn if available, otherwise canned corn)
  • 4 large eggs
  • 1.5 cups half & half (original recipe calls for whole milk)
  • 6 Tablespoons granulated sugar
  • 2 teaspoons salt
  • 2 Tablespoons flour
  • 4 Tablespoons butter, melted (consider using unsalted if you've got it)
  • 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper (my addition, optional, add to your liking)
I used a medium-sized Pyrex baking dish for the corn pudding and a 9"x13" Pyrex baking dish for the hot water bath that the corn pudding sits in during baking.

Preheat oven to 350°F. Place oven rack in middle position. Prepare some hot water for the water bath.

In a very large mixing bowl, whisk the eggs, then add the half & half, sugar, and salt and whisk to combine. While continually whisking, whisk in the flour (sprinkling in a little at a time to avoid lumps), followed by the melted butter, and finally the cayenne. Add the corn and stir to combine thoroughly.

Pour the mixture into a baking dish. Place the baking dish inside a larger empty baking dish or roasting pan. Place in the oven and slowly add hot water to the empty pan about half way up the side of the corn pudding baking dish.

Bake 55-65 minutes or until browned on top to your liking and a knife inserted in center comes out clean. We may have baked this one as long at 75 minutes to get the really brown top. If doing the half recipe, use a smaller baking dish and bake for 45-55 minutes, maybe a little longer.

sqIJXZ7.jpg

dBHCztd.jpg

Back