Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Another historical curiosity 1987 Kenmore NIB!!!

Jon, my early grilling years sound just like yours. I remember putting together those Charxxxxxx grills and using them while going to cookouts at other peoples houses and seeing them grilling on a 6 burner behemoth....probably a Summit.

I had always known about WEBER and coveted them from afar. Kind of like the Corvette at the GM dealer whenever I am there. Now I own a "Classic" Weber which is a lot like those classic cars. But that Kenmore grill is more like a 75 Ford LTD with 125 miles on it that has been stored in a garage for 40 years.
    Last edited by Bruce; 12-31-2018 at 09:55 AM.
    Some people rescue dogs and cats. I rescue Webers.

I had a sunbeam pretty similar to that Kenmore. It had the lava rocks which I agree with Larry was a poor design. In fact I had numerous grills with lava rocks.
    I remember replacing the lava rocks with ceramic briquettes in one of my grills which was a little better. Quality stainless flavorizors are such a step up from either IMO. The last 3 years with my weber's are the first time in my life i haven't had to deal with crumbling lava rock or rotting cheapo flavorizors on close to an annual basis.

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian Rich Dahl's Avatar
    What a time capsule. I had a couple of grills like that before I got my first Weber. With the lava rocks you had to stand right next to it with a squirt bottle to put out the inevitable grease fires and the glass window was completely blacked out with grease after about the third cook.
    "Rescuing just one dog won't change the world, but it surely will change the world for that one dog."

Yeah, it’s an interesting grill but mostly just due to its age and condition.
    Weber Genesis 2000, Natural Gas

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce View Post
    Jon, my early grilling years sound just like yours. I remember putting together those Charxxxxxx grills and using them while going to cookouts at other peoples houses and seeing them grilling on a 6 burner behemoth....probably a Summit.

I had always known about WEBER and coveted them from afar. Kind of like the Corvette at the GM dealer whenever I am there. Now I own a "Classic" Weber which is a lot like those classic cars. But that Kenmore grill is more like a 75 Ford LTD with 125 miles on it that has been stored in a garage for 40 years.
    That's a good description! Even though so amazingly preserved, they weren't anything to get excited about back then, so probably not too many looking for a collectible one now. I posted because I promised to share interesting items that I came across this winter. It did at least bring back some fun memories!
    Genesis Platinum Skyline 3200 Q1200"Flat-top" 26 Kettle Red,Black 22s 1Touch Platinum, Black '74 18, JJ & SJ. Projects: Genesis 4, 2 many!

Yes, jon and I enjoy some of those "NON- Weber" grill posts from time to time. It provides a bit of perspective.
    Some people rescue dogs and cats. I rescue Webers.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12