Hello from Philly

PCMancini

TVWBB Member
Hello from the Philly Burbs.

I have been in the process of doing to some repairs to my :blackgenesis: Genesis EP-330 LP (purchased 2011) these past 2 weeks and some Google searches brought me to this forum. Thought I would share my experience as a way of intro.

First, I had been noticing some rust and corrosion on the back bottom inside the lid. I wrote to Weber and even though the Grill was purchased in 2011 the lid was still under warranty. They shipped out a new replacement lid right away and the replacement took about 10 minutes.

Unfortunately when replacing the lid I noticed that the small heat shield that protects the electric starter was also rusted and corroded. This part was also covered under warranty. But getting the old one off was a little difficult. As you might imagine, 7 years of grilling along exposure to hot summers and cold winters and delicious food make the screws very difficult to turn. Unfortunately, the existing screw broke and I had to cut off the entire plate around the screw before I was able to wrench it out. But once removed, the replacement piece went in very easily.

Now, I am in the midst of replacing one of the Burner Control Valves. After years of use, grease from the cooking, hot and cold weather, etc, the valve began the stick and cannot be turned easily. There is a way to lubricate the valves using brake grease (info found in one of this sites videos) but one of my valves was essentially frozen in place. This also caused one of the knobs to break when trying to turn it. These pieces are not covered under warranty any longer so I am in the midst of ordering a valve and new knobs. Getting to these valves also requires dis-assembling the front control panel and loosening the entire manifold assembly with the same issue of stuck screws.

Unfortunately, one of the screws on the side plate of the control panel broke off. I tried to use an extractor but no luck. I am heading to the local machine welding shop tomorrow to see if they can drill it out, otherwise I am looking at buying a whole new control panel.

Hopefully, once the new control valve is in place, new knobs are installed and control panel back in place I am done with grill repairs and back to grilling and BBQ. I do use my grill all winter and clear a path though the snow to the grill when needed.

I am not new to grilling, have done some BBQ and Turkey Frying but have not had too much experience smoking. So I hope to expand my BBQ skills and this forum seems like a great place for this.

Cheers and Happy New Years!

Last edited:
Thanks guys, good news is that I was able to replace the valve (new one from GrillParts.com) without any trouble and I was also able to get the control panel side plate fixed. Since I am not in any way mechanically inclined I am pretty happy with myself in getting my grill back up running like new. And while I was at it I did my semi annual full clean.

The NEXT big question is what size WSM do I buy. Right now am leaning towards the 18.5". I want to get it up and running before Easter dinner.

Glad to be a part of this fine group.
Paul

Last edited:

Back