Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Q 3something

Jason, if you took them all the way down to bare cast iron when you took the angle grinder to them, then it is going to take some time to get them seasoned well and keep in mind that every time you brush them with a wire brush, you are stripping most of that previous seasoning off of them.
    This is why Weber "coats" their grates from the factory.
    Some people rescue dogs and cats. I rescue Webers.

TVWBB Pro
    Brushing them as part of my problem. I took the angle grinder to them and strip them down to metal. Last weekend I was able to season them twice. When I went back to it this weekend there was surface rust. And when I scraped it it seemed like it was coming up through the seasoning. I'd like to get this girl ready for sale but I'm afraid I may have to replace the grates in order to have it really presentable. I can clean the rest up no problem, but since my neighbor wants this Grill I really don't want to give him something inferior. If it was listed and someone decided they wanted it I could tell them the greats would probably need to be replaced at some point and leave it up to them if it's worth it. I may end up having to tell my neighbor the same thing if I can't get these better than I have been able to.

TVWBB Pro
    It might be worth it for me to spend the 70 and raise the price on the barbecue. I think if I'm patient enough I might be able to ask $200 and just wait for the right person to come along and want it. I'm not trying to get rich doing this, none of us are, but I don't want to lose money either. If I have to replace the grates I'll be into the grill for about $150. I don't include my time in that. Unfortunately $150 is what I told my neighbor he could have it for after I got it cleaned up and ready for him.

Yah, that is a problem with Q grills. What Q version is your grill? You could offer the grill as is for the $150 or tell a buyer they can have it for $200 with new grates. But let me know what Q size your grill is. Is it a Q3xx?

Here is about the best deal I know of for Q3xx grates.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Weber-7584-...frcectupt=true

But then a check on amazon has this: https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/A...WDNVN1/tvwb-20
    or this: https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/A...GT77FV/tvwb-20
    Last edited by Bruce; 04-06-2019 at 01:25 PM.

TVWBB Pro
    It's a 3000 as far as I can tell. Pictures are on the first page of this thread.

Well, check out those links. You can get quilimetal grates for it for $50. Offer it to your friend as is, or tell him you can put new grates on it for an extra $40 or $50.

The current grates will work fine, you just have to keep seasoning them between cooks.

Jason, it took a lot of seasoning and while they're "serviceable" for me I would not try to sell the grill like this. I would definitely replace the grate(s). Those deals Bruce showed look fantastic and I think I will be purchasing one of them myself

Glad to hear I could spend some of your money Larry.

TVWBB Pro
    I have them looking like this at the moment

But my fear is that they first time they get another good scraping from a barbecue brush the rest will come back through. Or if it's like last time they will sit for a week and have surface rust again. I think the porcelain enameled grates are probably the best option. If it was my personal grill I would be happy with the results I've gotten so far.

Jason,

Looks pretty good to me. I wouldn't mind using that. I think I would go with Bruce's suggestion and offer your friend a two-tier price. If you went with the Qlimetal the jump is down to $50 which gives you a little room. I would definitely try Qlimetal since I have had favorable opinions of their grates and flavorizers. Disclosure, I did get a free set for doing a review on Amazon for them, but my opinion is the honest truth. Their prices on the very nice stainless rod grates have steadily risen, but they are still a much less expensive route to getting really decent grates. I am hoping these Q cast iron grates are of similar quality.
    Genesis Platinum Skyline 3200 Q1200"Flat-top" 26 Kettle Red,Black 22s 1Touch Platinum, Black '74 18, JJ & SJ. Projects: Genesis 4, 2 many!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast