White Bean Sweet Italian Sausage Stew

Clint

TVWBB Olympian
not sure if this is a soup, stew, or chili, but making it the 2nd time right now, I figured I'd better document it.

This makes about 6.5 quarts, I cooked it in my 8qt stock pot.

2# sweet Italian sausage
4 cans white beans (low sodium S&W brand this time, think I used cannelli beans last time)
1 28oz can of diced tomatoes
3-4 yellow onions, chopped
4 pasilla peppers (use green or anaheim if you prefer)
6 cups water
2 Tbsp chicken bullion
1 Tbsp salt

and resist the urge to add seasoning until it's stewed for 20 minutes, the spices in the sausage provide most of the flavor.

Whenever I make chili, spaghetti sauce, etc I leave the ground meat as untouched as possible which means I cook it in the brick and break it down just a little - I watch people break their burger down to individual BB sized things, I like it more substantial like meatballs.

So brown the sausage & break it up just a bit (~10 minutes), then add the peppers, onions, this time I added 2 chopped carrots, and let the veggies start to soften while the meat finishes cooking. I didn't track time but I bet it was 20 minutes. Then I added the beans (liquid & all - just started doing that about a month ago), tomatoes, ~6 cups water, bullion, & brought to a simmer for maybe 10 minutes then turned off the heat.

I ate the last bowl from the freezer yesterday & made it again for dinner today. It's surprisingly good, I'll probably keep making small variations like I do with the chili recipe I've been using for the last 10 years.

_DSC0843 - soup pot by Clint Clint Bo Bint, on Flipper

_DSC0846 - soup fin pot by Clint Clint Bo Bint, on Flipper

_DSC0851 - soup bowl by Clint Clint Bo Bint, on Flipper

Well, whatever you call it, it looks great. Next time, switch up the sweet for hot sausage (rather than adding other spices) or sub a cup of red wine instead of the water. That little change may be just the ticket.

Last edited:

Back