School me on grilling on top of charcoal chimney

Kyle Ss

TVWBB Member
Always wanted to try but haven’t yet. Any insight you can share like what meats you have done, how much charcoal you filled, how hot it got, etc.

TonyUK has sent me a few pictures of his use of this, the next time I am doing a lone dinner, and feel like a big beef fix I plan on trying it. I’d figure about half a chimney and full bottle of Cabernet!

Alton Brown had a video of this using about 3/4 full. He said it was like cooking on a jet engine. I am sure you can find the video on food network web site

There's 2 ways to grill using a chimny, over and under. Over, you run the risk of grease dripping and flare-ups. Under, make sure that you give the chimney a good shake to knock the ash off, and the food has to be contained within the rim.

I make steaks sous vide, and have balanced a grill grate over the top to sear them off (half a chimney full.) At nightfall, the 1/4" stainless rod is just starting to glow in the center. My IR thermometer goes off scale at the top rim, and an inch or so below, is at almost 900 degrees.

Downside is that you're fairly limited on how much you can grill at once. I use the biggest Weber chimney and it's just barely big enough to do a couple of small steaks at the same time. A big ribeye? Forget it.

My good friend made a youtube video on his page of him cooking a filet mignon on top of a starter chimney. Here is the link: https://youtu.be/71QNWHwXnic

Check out his channel, Raleighsmoke he has alot of good WSM videos

- - - Updated - - -

trying to embed the video in the message, idk if this will work:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/71QNWHwXnic" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

My good friend made a youtube video on his page

That was an enjoyable vid; while he knew the fundamentals, we both learned some tweaks along the way and everything he shared was full of meat rather than rambling and wasting time. Thanks for sharing.

I've grilled over and under Weber chimneys, but prefer to place the center section of my GBS grate down on top of the baskets.
Larger area, and more stable.

I've grilled over and under Weber chimneys, but prefer to place the center section of my GBS grate down on top of the baskets.
Larger area, and more stable.

That's a great idea Bob, thanks for sharing. I'll be adding that to the to do list.

Agreed! But, a carefully placed pair of skewers to provide support through the center to clear the center has worked for some. I really like the CI center of the GBS rack best, the sad part is m it only works for one steak. Unless you do two smaller ones.

I saw a Steven Raichlen tip last week, to fill the chimney with wood chunks and grill over that in the Kettle. Anyone tried this?

You can always go Cowboy style and get rid of the chimney all together! My favorite way to cook T-bones. Its a good party trick too., especially when your guests bring their own meat. The look on their faces when you throw a $20 steak on the coals is priceless!

14274035575_79f81343dc_c.jpg

14273582664_6aa1ff1b9b_c.jpg

If you look into this technique they recommend NOT using briquettes and only hardwood lump for this trick to avoid contact with all the mastics and stuff in briquettes. I have tried it BTW and MEH nothing to write home about and makes a mess

I've cooked steaks on the top of a red hot log when camping, at home I prefer to use what I have, a grate and a kettle:)
Steve's alright, but using wood chunks costs more then charcoal, and it takes alot longer to burn them down to coals.
Unless you have access to a free supply of hardwood.

Tim

Back