Longest......stall ever

Chris S Lewis

TVWBB Fan
Decided to smoke an 11 lb. picnic (local store had no butts) for Christmas dinner. Put it in the bullet yesterday afternoon. Luckily wasn't in a rush, after 25, yes, 25 hours, at 235 the internal temp would not go above 180. Foiled it and put it in a 300 oven for an hour and got up to 185. Now letting it rest before pulling. I'm sure it will taste just fine but after countless pork cooks, butts and picnics, this is the longest stall I've ever had (or heard of). Anyone else ever have one stall this long?

I too only run 275*F grill themp on my WSM. I've had that happen with a full packer brisket only once before. It was crazy. Maintained a steady temp but the thing would not probe tender after 20+ hours. I do temps for a living (HVAC for hospitals etc. I know my temps were accurate. Some said it may have come from an older critter. To this day I do not know what caused it.

That sounds pretty rough. I've had stalls last for 6 hours on brisket before. I've never had one like what you got though. I would wonder about thermometer placement as others have said, but an 11 lb picnic can be pretty darn thick.

As Chris does, I run both my ribs and Butts at 275 degrees. I truly appreciate the faster cooking and frankly, "don't need no stall, anyway:eek:"...

Keep on smokin',
Dale53:wsm:

If it still pulled at 185 degrees, you may want to check your thermometer.

Yea I agree. That temp is more suited for slicing and one I use for a Latin Roasted picnic.

25 hrs to get there, would make me retire or quit, ( Sorry) but if I have to get supper on the table today, not tomorrow, I'll bump the temps or wrap in foil or do what I have to..:)

Tim

I once bought a picnic that was labeled wrong at Walmart, as a boston butt. I quickly realized as soon as I opened the package that it was a picnic roast and not a boston butt. Went with it anyway, cant remember the size but it was at least 10lbs. It took a solid 20 hours to get to 203 with a steady pit temp of 225.

Back