Prime Rib on 26.75 rotisserie

Tom Chilton

TVWBB Fan
Doing a Prime Rib on the 26 rotisserie for Christmas. Hope to update as it happens. Salted and put in refrigerator wrapped for 2 days, last night unwrapped. Plan is to cook for ~ 1.5 hours to 125 F. Take off and let rest, carve and serve. Nice and easy. Some people might like more well done (heathens!) so might put some slices back on the grill. Got a horseradish cream (Alton Brown recipe) to serve with it, with Hasselback potato gratin (Serious Eats recipe) and sous vide glazed carrots. Wife is making a salad and cheesecake and yeasted biscuits (taste kind of like Red Lobster's).

Main thing I'm going to watch out for is overshooting the temp. Those last degrees go by really fast (happened with the Thanksgiving turkey).

2957DxJ.jpg

Y2AWnMa.jpg

fvuP37s.jpg

Yes, it's a great piece of meat. I went back and forth over cooking it reverse sear or on the rotisserie. I'm just hoping I do it justice. I Frenched the bones and it's out of the refrigerator now, next step is to tie it and spit it.

Method is basically what Mike Vrobel does on his blog.

Method for Frenching the bones is from chefsteps website. Note- it’s harder than they make it look.

EygL3PD.jpg

Last edited:
Well, I trust it was worth the effort, the end result always looks so pretty when the ends are frenched. Did you make little white frills for them?
I need some big beef!

Wish I could have eaten that yesterday. My brother well meaning as he is bought a 7 bone roast from the Jewel food store. They were on sale $4.99lb. Definitely NOT prime (I honestly thing it was select or "utility" grade) no marbling whatever. He wanted to do a low/slow roast/smoke on his Summit 4 burner. Of course the 7 bone was too big so I recommended he simply split it evenly. Then roast it like a crown roast. Meat lollipops to the "outside" bones curved up and in, 2 outside burners on with foil packs of wood chips on the FB's. Well not being one for the "mundane" LOL he decided to put 2 pieces of oak fire wood one over each burner on top of the grates. Of course he didn't plan for the wood to catch fire and have the grill temps soar and pretty much carbonize the outside.
Suffice to say it was kind of like eating an old burned chest of drawers both in taste and texture.
I know he meant well but he definitely needs schooling LOL

Well, it was good, but not as good as I hoped. What happened was I was temping it with the Thermapen and getting readings around 120°, but got a reading of 106°, so I let it go longer. Then I temped it again and was getting 125°, but again an anomalous 108° reading. At this point I pulled it off, which means it was more medium rare than rare, which turned out fine since that's how most people (except me) wanted it. I'm pretty sure what happened was that the anomalous reading was me poking into a fat pocket and getting a lower reading. Lesson learned. Anyhow, here are some more pics.

Tied and ready to be spitted.
QNUXkSx.jpg

Here it is from the other side where you can see the fat layer I think I was getting the anomalous temp reading from
dfyrQ7N.jpg

Here it is on the spit
WWlF9cN.jpg

And here it is cut into
L4TSxSD.jpg

It was really good, and I'm going to try this method again (probably next Christmas) but be more careful about the temp probing.

I put it on at 2:05 and took it off at 3:25. I used one chimney full of blue Kingsford and one oak chunk, which got the initial temp to 375° on the dome thermometer. At one hour, the temp was 350° and I replenished with 6 coals on each side of the drip pan (the charcoal was in the baskets on either side of the drip pan). It was the last 5 minutes where the temp went from 120° to 125°.

And it's making some good sandwiches today (the day after Christmas). Toasted bread, horseradish sauce, thinly sliced prime rib, and Swiss cheese.

Last edited:
Looks superb Tom! 1'm a 120 guy too. Nice job Frenching the bones. You're right. It's harder than it looks. Tried my hand at it a couple of years ago on a raci of pork and it looked worse after I was done.

Haven't tried a Prime Rib yet - rarely have that big of a crowd at my house. But I use the CB Roti for pork loins, chickens, etc. I rubber band my Maverick to the roti's handle and then run the wire through the spit bushing so that I can keep an eye the protein's IT.

BD

Haven't tried a Prime Rib yet - rarely have that big of a crowd at my house. But I use the CB Roti for pork loins, chickens, etc. I rubber band my Maverick to the roti's handle and then run the wire through the spit bushing so that I can keep an eye the protein's IT.
BD

Now that’s a good idea!

Back