First overnight cook question

AndyC

TVWBB Member
I did my did first overnight cook last night. All was good at 5, but when I got up at 8, both pit and meat temps were in low 150s. Firing more charcoal now, but making sure meat is still safe. Hoping so since it didn't go under 140, but want to check with the experts. :) Thanks!!!

Update: coals on, pit is back up to temp, and meat is back up to 162. At this point my only real worry is the surface temp of the meat. I touched the bark when I was adding coals, and it didn't feel particularly hot.

Last edited:
My first thought and response is that it should be fine. You did not mention what you were smoking so I am assuming a beef or pork roast of some kind. If it was me, and this has happened to me, I would simply do as you are and proceed with the smoke.
I now have a wireless thermometer with multiple probes. I use this on over night smokes to monitor the temp of the meat and the smoker. It has alarms that I can set to wake me if the temp drops.

Thanks Mike! It's a 5 lb pork butt. My current themometer only alarms on high, but I did ask Santa for one like that, so maybe tomorrow? :)

Back