First Christmas Brisket, how to make it say "Christmas"?

ChadVKealey

TVWBB Pro
I've cooked more than a few briskets over the years and have an "un-recipe" (kosher salt, fresh ground pepper, granulated onion & garlic) that has become my go-to for any kind of beef. The thing is, I've never cooked a brisket for Christmas before and want to find some way to make it "Christmas"-y, if that makes sense. So, those of you who do brisket for Christmas, what do you do to make it "special"?

I just do Texas Style but the sky is the limit as to how you top it. Some of the rubs available today will add a sweet, or whatever you like. I always like to let the meat be the star though. Have heard of draping bacon though. May try it at a later date.

Good Luck!

Just decorate the platter with a bunch of green herbs and sprinkle crasins around. Can also make a green and a red dipping sauce. Merry Christmas

I inject mine. And I am cooking one now.
Take 2 cups unsalted beef broth. 2 TBLSP Worcestershire sauce. Bring it to a boil,and add 2 packages of beef bullion. (That is the recipe anyway)
(In reality I make up 4 times this much). But I inject it the night before,and while cooking the first few hours. I also add a little apple juice to it and spray every hour or so until i wrap it. (and spray/inject it before wrapping. It also smells GREAT simmering on the stove:cool:

Maybe hit it with some herbs? Thyme and rosemary maybe?

Unfortunately, I checked the pantry and we seem to be all out of those. I'm proceeding with my usual method, although I inadvertently separated the point & flat while trimming away the fat seem in between them. This particular slab seemed to have a lot more fat than usual... probably removed about 2-3 pounds of hard fat and deckle. It was just under 17 pounds to start with and I've got an 8 pound ham that'll be double smoked on the kettle, so I think we'll have plenty of food to go around.

Back