Should I Make Brisket Burnt Ends or Slice Whole?

Jason D. Florida

TVWBB Member
I’m smoking a 15# brisket tomorrow night to serve on Christmas Eve. Should I cut the point into cubes and make burnt ends or leave it whole and slice it after it’s cooked. I’ve made burnt ends in the past but have not found a good recipe to die for that is fairly easy to make. Any recommendations?

Gotta make burnt ends. A little sauce, a little rub, and into the smoker in a foil pan or cast iron pot for about an hour. Your guests will love it.

Big fan of the Burnt End ! ! !

Agree that I would never separate before cooking. I use two temp probes to keep an eye on both sections and have, sometimes, separated them before wrapping if one was had a large temp lead on the other.

BD

Thanks for the YouTube link. I just trimmed the flat and it’s much thinner than I would like it to be so I’ll play it by ear if I’m going to make the burnt ends. I guess it depends how it turns out after it probes tender. I’m put it on the smoker at midnight and headed to bed and letting it ride without wrapping. Hopefully it turns out ok. I have a house full of people coming over tomorrow night.

I have a store that sells points separate from time to time. So far I think the points that have been separated from my Briskets after cooking,and then cooked more are better than the ones that were cooked by their selves. BUT what he is doing different is cooking both the flat,and point about the same amount of time. When you separate the point from the brisket the normal method is keep cooking the point a few more hours. So I have probably been overcooking the points I have bought separate. Thinking I need to render the fat out of it. I don't believe it's the quality of the meat,because I have bought a couple that were marbled beautifully and wasn't that impressed with how they turned out.
I think next time I get a point (or two) I will try following his method.

Back