Shhhhh! Ribs on the Instant Pot

Robert McGee

TVWBB Gold Member
Don't tell anyone, but Marilyn and I did ribs on my Instant Pot, last night. I used the recipe from:

https://www.hippressurecooking.com/category/hip-books/

You will note, that when you click on the link, you will see the "BBQ Pork Ribs and Spinach Bean Salad" from the book. THAT is the recipe.

I only deviated from the recipe in a couple of places - I used my favortite rub (homemix of Harry Soo's "Slap yo Daddy" rub instead of the rib seasoning in the recipe. I kept the bean seasoning as directed.

When the cook was over, I also used not only the beans but the liquid from the cook (just poured the contents of the beans and liquid from the pot to the casserole dish after the ribs were removed). Here is the Steamer Basket that I use:

https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00ZE2YUJG/tvwb-20

At any rate, I used a full rack of Loin Back Ribs from my favorite ribs perveyor, Costco. As the recipe directed, I cut each bone apart, put them in a large Stainless mixing bowl and tossed them with BBQ rub and put them back in the refrigerator while I saute'd the onions, etc. I put the soaked Cannellini beans in the pot, then, after tossing the rubbed ribs in BBQ sauce (I used Sweet Baby Ray's Honey Chipotle Sauce), I put them in the Steamer Basket and lowered the steamer basket on top, and proceeded.

Everything went according to plan. As I mentioned above, I removed the ribs, then the recipe directed to use a large slotted spoon and remove the beans leaving the liquid behind. However, I decided that the liquid was not excessive and I wanted it, too. So, I just poured the contents of the inner pot into the casserole dish. I, then, carefully laid the ribs to top and brushed on another coat of Sweet Baby Rays onto the ribs. We slid the casserole under the broiler and toasted the ribs (meat side up) until time to remove. Here's what I saw, right out of the oven:

I have to say, the ribs were EXCELLENT! Yeah, EXCELLENT! We had a problem locating Cannellini beans at the local super markets. Neither Krogers, Walmart, nor Meijers seemed to have any (at least, according to their web sites). So, we made a trip to Jungle Jim's (a huge locally owned International Market) where we found Bob's Red Mill organic Cannellini Beans (very expensive) but in the Italian section of the market we found bulk packed Cannellini's at a favorable price. It WAS worth the effort, these beans, at least in this recipe "were to die for" (as my sister used to say:eek:).

NOTE: The recipe gave a small spread of pressure cook time (23-25 minutes). I used 23 minutes. The ribs were very nearly "falling off the bone" - I sure do NOT want them cooked any more. YMMV

I can reccommend this recipe without reservations. During the winter, I suspect THESE are the ribs you'll find on my table (no, I will NOT give up my grills and smokers:rolleyes:).

Keep on smokin',
Dale53:wsm:

Last edited:
I have to say, the ribs were EXCELLENT! Yeah, EXCELLENT!

They certainly look excellent! I've yet to do them in a casserole but I've done baby backs a few times in the IP, most recently at 21 minutes and I'll try 20 minutes on my next attempt. My wife and Mother-in-law RAVE over them, which secretly kinda hurts my feelings because I normally invest more time and smoke them.

To all;
keep in mind, you only use the casserole dish to decant the beans then provide a support for the ribs while you broil them to set the BBQ sauce. Then, you remove the ribs and serve them separately.

Keep on smokin’,
P.S. You may find this interesting:

https://www.cooksillustrated.com/how_tos/5446-cannellini-bean-substitute

Personally, I consider it well worth it to use real Cannellini beans in this particular recipe. But-t-t, that’s just me...rdm

Last edited:
Go 15 min on the ribs/No more than 17. AND if you can fit the rack in uncut and on the trivet, so much easier to lift them out.

This evening, my wife, Marilyn, reheated the leftover ribs in the toaster oven. They were downright GOOD, again! She reheated the beans in a microwave and they, too, were good, again.

Both of us had a VERY satisfied look on our faces!

Yep, I really like the Instant Pot as well as the recipe. That recipe is definitely in my permanent file.

As a possible matter of interest, This afternoon I cooked six hardboiled eggs in the IP and have to say, it is a superior way to hardboil eggs. I only peeled one, but the shell fairly fell off the egg. The yolk was perfect!

keep on smokin’,

Last edited:
I have never heard of pressure cooking eggs. How long did it take? Were they submerged? Did you do any prep like poking a pin hole in the eggs? I steam my HB eggs FWIW and they only take 10 min so I cannot imagine a pressure cooker making them faster. They also peel VERY easily

I'm bookmarking this thread to hear how the cheesecake turns out.

Last edited:
Well I gave the eggs a try on my Fagor Duo pressure cooker at low pressure today. Results for easy to peel were quite nice. Esthetics of the yolk very nice as well. Nice yellow no green ring. Texture of the yolk and egg white though after a 8.5 min cook time were rather rubbery. (though my wife likes them that way) I like mine still "creamy" not oozing or liquid but soft and creamy. So next time I will try a shorter cook perhaps 6 min or 7 max

Boy those look great. I know everyone doesn’t feel this way but , to me, sometimes it’s just too crappy out to cook outdoors..So for winter cooking , this would work for me. ..I certainly wouldn’t turn up my nose if you put them in front of me.

Update on the egg experiment. Today I did them for 6 minutes. Definitely an improvement over the 8-9 min eggs I did though not quite perfect as the yolk while wonderfully "creamy" was just a tad "liquid". So, I will repeat the experiment to 7 min under pressure and I think it will give the perfect balance of tender whites and smooth creamy yolks. Stay tuned

Well 7 minutes IMO is DA BOMB for the eggs. Yolks creamy and slightly glistening but not running, whites perfectly tender as well. I am gonna make me a bunch of them. Another nice thing is they peel to a very nice smooth and shiny white. Just like a picture.
Again anyone wondering. This is using a 6qt Fagor Duo with the steamer basket installed and 2 cups of water. Water not touching the eggs. Control set to low pressure (I believe on the Duo low is 7.5 PSI and High is 15 PSI)
Full heat once indicator pops up set timer 7 minutes reduce heat if venting begins to a slight steady hiss.
After 7 min release pressure manually remove eggs and into ice water bath.
I would think given my experimentation that if soft boiled was your preference a 4 minute would be perfect (maybe 5)

Great looking meal Robert, if they tasted as good as those ribs and beans look there had to be a big wow factor involved.
In the winter with my meds I can't tolerate the cold so I don't do a lot of grilling either. Barb and I just got a casserole slow cooker and will be using that a lot.
I like to load the slow cooker in the morning and not have anything to do until we serve it at dinner time.

Back