Thread: Wrapping Brisket after itís Cooked?

TVWBB Member

Wrapping Brisket after itís Cooked?

How do you guys wrap your brisket to rest after itís cooked? Specifically, is there a noticeable difference with wrapping in butcher paper vs foil during the rest period? I have smoked several full packers unwrapped the on the smoker the entire time. After it probes tender, I let it rest on the counter for 20-30 minutes before wrapping and placing in the cooler. Will butcher paper let too much juice out?

TVWBB Super Fan
    I use two layers of Heavy duty foil. If I need to hold it for more than an hour, I place it in a clean dry warmed cooler
    22" Weber Kettle
    Stumps Baby Smoker

TVWBB Member
    I just did a flat last weekend on my WSM. It stalled at 160 so i took it off wrapped it in pink butcher paper and opened the vents on the bottom so it got to 300. When the flat hit 200 I pulled it and let it rest on the counter still wrapped. I really liked the way it turned out. Will do that again! By the way that was my first brisket and will definitely be doing that again.
    :26"blackkettle::22" blackkettle:wsm18::

TVWBB Diamond Member Dustin Dorsey's Avatar
    I haven't noticed much difference. It may slightly soften your bark but not much. I just use foil to keep my cooler cleaner.
    22.5 WSM, 22.5 OTS, Smokey Joe, Genesis 1000, Smokenator 1000, Old Country Pecos, Thermapen, Smoke, Maverick ET-732, Igrill 2

TVWBB Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dustin Dorsey View Post
    I haven't noticed much difference. It may slightly soften your bark but not much. I just use foil to keep my cooler cleaner.
    How long do you keep it in your cooler wrapped in foil before serving? Thanks,

I do not wrap up less time is a factor.
    If the stall is slowing things down and it will not be done at the time I need, I wrap
    to speed things up. If it will be more than 30 minutes from completion time until
    serving, then I will wrap. Butcher paper seems to give a little better bark, but I don't
    know that it is worth the extra expense for home use. Possibly for competition.
    E330 1997 Genesis 1000 Blue Performer wsm22 :wsm18: :wsm14: 1983 Red Head Chiefs NFL Edition

Well-wrapped in foil and in a warm cooler with towels or blankets, a brisket will stay above 140 for at least 4 hours. I tend to plan for a 3-hour rest when doing a brisket. I think butcher paper would just get completely soggy after an hour or so.

Jeff
    There's more than one way to skin a cat, but either way the cat's not gonna like it much.

TVWBB Member
    Quote Originally Posted by J Hasselberger View Post
    Well-wrapped in foil and in a warm cooler with towels or blankets, a brisket will stay above 140 for at least 4 hours. I tend to plan for a 3-hour rest when doing a brisket. I think butcher paper would just get completely soggy after an hour or so.

Jeff
    The butcher paper was wet but it stayed together well enough for me to just unwrap and serve. I did not put it on a cooler though. I just threw it on the counter wrapped just the way it was on the grill Turned out really moist and tender.

TVWBB Diamond Member Dustin Dorsey's Avatar
    I try to get at least an hour in the cooker, but I've gone as long as 5.
    22.5 WSM, 22.5 OTS, Smokey Joe, Genesis 1000, Smokenator 1000, Old Country Pecos, Thermapen, Smoke, Maverick ET-732, Igrill 2

TVWBB Member
    Thanks for the replies. I’m cooking a 15 pound brisket for Christmas Eve and plan on resting in the cooler. The last one I smoked I wrapped in butcher paper to rest in the cooler after it was done and it was a mess. I’ll go back to wrapping in foil for the rest period.