Water pan as heat sink

Mark Orth

TVWBB Member
Hi all. I assume this topic has been covered ad nauseam but I didn't find anything quickly. I'm getting a new 18"er. On the one it's replacing, I've kept the water pan filled with play sand. I love it because it acts as a heat sink but I still get a great bark. The only issue is that it weighs a ton and has, at times, slipped off the tabs, which is a mess. And the new pan is bigger I think. I thought I'd heard of people using clay flower pots or something as an alternative. Thoughts?

Yes, foil-wrapped clay saucers (breakable), rounds of steel plate...I'm sure others will chime-in with their favorites. I would suggest moving the old, smaller pan to your new smoker and skipping sand, just wrap in foil for easy cleanup and use empty. So many cook this way with success.

Yes, foil-wrapped clay saucers (breakable), rounds of steel plate...I'm sure others will chime-in with their favorites. I would suggest moving the old, smaller pan to your new smoker and skipping sand, just wrap in foil for easy cleanup and use empty. So many cook this way with success.

Like, do they break frequently with the heat? I kind of like the idea of something light like that.

Two schools of thought here. A heat sink which absorbs heat, or a heat deflector.
Either one works depending on your target temp.

Tim

I have a clay saucer for mine. It has several cracks from heat. I bought a metal pan and went that way for a while. But since my clay saucer wasn't broken I went back to it. The clay saucer is my preference. Ill keep the metal one around for when the clay one completely breaks.
And in my opinion a clay saucer is the way to go. No real proof why. I just like it better I guess:)
What ever I use I wrap it with foil.

I don't want to sound like a filthy individual but why is it necessary to wrap or clean the clay saucer at all?
?

I don't want to sound like a filthy individual but why is it necessary to wrap or clean the clay saucer at all?
?

Because it's porous and will absorb grease. I'm not saying that's a bad thing cause I remember a thread on the old forum where that member treated it like a well seasoned pan.

Tim

Back